Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes (distilled)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes (distilled)

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    That would be an ALSA/kernel issue, I imagine. Have you tried something simpler, such as restarting PulseAudio?

Code:
    $ pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio
    I have tried that, though it doesn't change anything. PulseAudio itself _is_ working, its just that it lacks any connection to hardware, aka an alsa pcm. I have a multicast rtp sink loaded and available there and shown in pavucontrol, but the alsa device says it is 'busy' whenever I restart pulseaudio. A restart of alsa through a simple "sudo /etc/init.d/alsa restart" restarts alsa, but the problem persists. Doing an
    Code:
     alsa force-reload
    will make it appear even without restarting pulseaudio. But it won't otherwise appear and anything trying to route itself through alsa doesn't work either, not even a simple speaker test with the device specified (so it doesn't default to pulse).

Beans

Hi,

With the latest updates, Flash should work for amd64 users without the need for GetLibs; I've updated the guide to reflect this.

Can I ask anyone that's got a 64 bit machine to offer feedback on the stability of Flash from my PPA? Do you observe any Firefox crashes or Flash content "disappearing"?

Flash 10 will hit the official repositories soon, and there may be further problems that need ironing out (within nspluginwrapper).
    Well, personally, i followed your updated guide using the ppa repo's etc, now every single bit of flash content I try to view crashes, rather it disappears leaving a gray box in it place. Subsequently skype no longer loads either, not finding libQtDBus.so even though it is installed on my system. Not sure whats causing the flash problem, I know I get 8 or nine instances of npviewer.bin running everytime flash content is loaded and I cannot kill them until I quit firefox.
    SYSTEM SPECS: Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop. CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500@2.20GHz. MEM: 2GB. GFX: Nvidia 8600M GT. SND: Intel 82180H HD Audio Controller NET: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AG, BCM4401 Ethernet SCREEN: 1680x1050 OS: Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by roger99 View Post
    Well, personally, i followed your updated guide using the ppa repo's etc, now every single bit of flash content I try to view crashes, rather it disappears leaving a gray box in it place. Subsequently skype no longer loads either, not finding libQtDBus.so even though it is installed on my system. Not sure whats causing the flash problem, I know I get 8 or nine instances of npviewer.bin running everytime flash content is loaded and I cannot kill them until I quit firefox.
    Let's put aside Skype for a moment...

I've been testing with the i386 build of nspluginwrapper and noticed crashes as well, but it's caused by PulseAudio 0.9.12 on my system. Try to downgrade to Intrepid's version of PulseAudio:

1. Comment/delete TheMuso's repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Downgrade packages:

Big Fat Warning: *please* be careful and check the output to ensure that no vital packages are uninstalled. I'm not taking responsiblity for half your system being removed, so verify the removed packages before you continue.

NOTE 1: This procedure should *only* elect to remove libpulsecore7, and install a "NEW" package, libpulsecore5 - do not proceed unless you're happy this is the case.
    NOTE 2: When prompted, please choose "y" to install the package maintainer's version of any configuration files.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio/intrepid libao-pulse/intrepid libpulse-browse0/intrepid libpulse-mainloop-glib0/intrepid libpulse0/intrepid libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio/intrepid pulseaudio/intrepid pulseaudio-esound-compat/intrepid pulseaudio-module-gconf/intrepid pulseaudio-module-hal/intrepid pulseaudio-module-x11/intrepid pulseaudio-module-zeroconf/intrepid pulseaudio-utils/intrepid vlc-plugin-pulse/intrepid libpulsecore5/intrepid padevchooser/intrepid pavucontrol/intrepid libasound2/intrepid libasound2-plugins/intrepid
    3. Assuming the packages were downgraded correctly, reboot.

4. When you've rebooted, launch Firefox. Open two random Youtube pages and play the videos, then right-click on one of them and click "About Flash".

If Flash continues working, that's a good sign
    Last edited by psyke83; September 19th, 2008 at 03:31 AM.

Beans

Figured it out, mpd is the culprit though it worked fine before and I don't remember it being updated recently. I can't tell why it isn't using the pulseaudio output like its supposed to (maybe it is being loaded before pulseaudio and the default is alsa, which would make sense, other than the switchup itself).

I don't know whether or not it would be good to file a bug because of my highly irregular install. I think I'll wait to see if someone else has the same problem first. I guess I'm booting up with no usplash for a quick check next time .

Beans

Big Fat Warning:
    lol, no worries, i quite like trashing my system, makes things that little bit more interesting and there's no-one else to blame but myself seeing as I'm the one who decided to run an alpha OS

Although, i'm gonna leave it until tomorrow as i'm half asleep right now. When i know the outcome of the downgrade etc I'll post again and let you know if it worked. Cheers for the quick late/early reply by the way.
    SYSTEM SPECS: Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop. CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500@2.20GHz. MEM: 2GB. GFX: Nvidia 8600M GT. SND: Intel 82180H HD Audio Controller NET: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AG, BCM4401 Ethernet SCREEN: 1680x1050 OS: Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
    Figured it out, mpd is the culprit though it worked fine before and I don't remember it being updated recently. I can't tell why it isn't using the pulseaudio output like its supposed to (maybe it is being loaded before pulseaudio and the default is alsa, which would make sense, other than the switchup itself).

I don't know whether or not it would be good to file a bug because of my highly irregular install. I think I'll wait to see if someone else has the same problem first. I guess I'm booting up with no usplash for a quick check next time .
    MPD is a special-case that needs configuring to work with PulseAudio. See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#MPD

Beans

MPD is a special-case that needs configuring to work with PulseAudio. See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#MPD
    Right, and I have it configured like that. I have only started experiencing this problem in the last few days and I even double-checked my mpd.conf to make sure that didn't change. Everything checks out, but the problem remains. It even goes through PulseAudio when it (mpd) is restarted. That's why I think its a load order issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BwackNinja View Post
    Right, and I have it configured like that. I have only started experiencing this problem in the last few days and I even double-checked my mpd.conf to make sure that didn't change. Everything checks out, but the problem remains. It even goes through PulseAudio when it (mpd) is restarted. That's why I think its a load order issue.
    I can imagine therefore: if MPD is launched before the PulseAudio server is running, it falls back to ALSA. When PulseAudio subsequently attempts to launch, it finds the sound card locked (by MPD)...

Beans
    Distro

If Flash continues working, that's a good sign
    Yup it does after downgrade....

I also unchecked your repos and cleaned out /.pulse

Rock solid
    Code:
    D: module-rtp-recv.c: Checking for dead streams ...
    D: module-rtp-recv.c: Checking for dead streams ...

No underruns
    which I got with 9.0.12 from time to time.

Small cracklings are back when switching between sources.

This event between every played title

Code:
    D: memblock.c: Memory block too large for pool: 17640 > 16376

Another strange issue is how front/rear audio out is controlled

Where is channel mapping stored ?

Beans

Good point Plun, and mate I dont understand it either.

How do I tell pulse/alsa whatever how many speakers I want everything mixed too? And to downsample different channells so they sound right in lesser numbers of speakers.

I note totem has a preference for how many speakers for output but thats not the whole story.
    He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast