Thread: western digital USB hard drive

Beans

western digital USB hard drive

Hard to explain here. I have had trouble in the past with this hard drive. Now I am using gparted to try to reformat. but this is the message I get,
    Error: File system was not cleanly unmounted! You should run e2fsck. Modifying an unclean file system could cause severe corruption.
    ian@ian-desktop:~$ sudo qtparted
    Error: File system was not cleanly unmounted! You should run e2fsck. Modifying an unclean file system could cause severe corruption.
    Error: Could not detect file system.

Could you help me just reformat it

Beans

Re: western digital USB hard drive

Couldn't you just use mke2fs manually?
    This statement is false

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: western digital USB hard drive

When you remove the drive, do you right-click on it's icon on your desktop and choose the unmount option?

If you don't do this and just unplug it, all sorts of problems can arise, including the symptoms you have mentioned.

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Wink Re: western digital USB hard drive

I had my external Western Digital 230-Gig hard drive working fine under Ubuntu 7.10. Then I upgraded to 8.10 and no matter what, I cannot mount it when connected to the USB port.

BUT: The drive also has a FireWire port. I plugged in the FireWire cable made to go from the video camera to the laptop, and it worked instantly. It is also much faster then USB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet_1953 View Post
    When you remove the drive, do you right-click on it's icon on your desktop and choose the unmount option?

If you don't do this and just unplug it, all sorts of problems can arise, including the symptoms you have mentioned.

Regards,
    Roger
    I had the same problem on my dual boot system with an Ext HDD.
    It seems it didn't matter in Windows but if I didn't 'safely remove the hardware' in Windows as recommended, it would not mount on Ubuntu. Now I always 'safely remove it' and have no more problems in either OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsaylr View Post
    I had the same problem on my dual boot system with an Ext HDD.
    It seems it didn't matter in Windows but if I didn't 'safely remove the hardware' in Windows as recommended, it would not mount on Ubuntu. Now I always 'safely remove it' and have no more problems in either OS.
    Same here. If you have Windows, just boot into Windows with the hard drive connected and use 'safely remove' on the hard drive. It should work fine in Ubuntu afterwards.