Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The ubuntu and linux is a lie | Linux is not meant for desktop

Beans

Re: The ubuntu and linux is a lie | Linux is not meant for desktop

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    What's a "desktop user"? These terms are all stupid. Linux is ready for MY desktop, and that's the only desktop that I'm worried about.
    Maybe not so stupid. The average desktop user who doesn't want to do complicated things or bend out of shape will have a hard time with Linux.

Wasted time is a big issue with Linux. Contrarily to Windows where it's fairly easy to find someone to help you out, dealing with Linux is a lonely crusade in comparison, even with the wonderful Ubuntu forums.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    Maybe not so stupid. The average desktop user who doesn't want to do complicated things or bend out of shape will have a hard time with Linux.

Wasted time is a big issue with Linux. Contrarily to Windows where it's fairly easy to find someone to help you out, dealing with Linux is a lonely crusade in comparison, even with the wonderful Ubuntu forums.
    I see your point. However, it's not my business what OS this "average user" runs. That's for them to decide.

Beans

I see your point. However, it's not my business what OS this "average user" runs. That's for them to decide.
    You're right. Ultimately, it is YOUR choice as a user to use Linux. And as such, you're responsible and therefore you shouldn't complain.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you can RUN A MAC, you can run Ubuntu! All it takes is more than a double digit IQ and an open mind.
    I know from nothing about programming, yet 7.10 is on my primary machine and I use it for everything except Adobe and some multi-media (awaiting Mediabuntu with baited breath!!). I have two other 7.10 machines that are fully functional in other rooms that are on my network.
    But I DO know how to read and follow directions .. along with being able to ask a coherent and to the point question. And I have the patience to wait for an answer.
    These forums DO help immensely! (Along with some judicious searches on Google!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think KingTermite was referring to the DFU rather than saying the OS is not ready for the user - actually the opposite - sort of tongue-in-cheek.
    At least that is the way I interpret it.
    0,= ,-_-. =.
    ((_/)o o(\_))
    `' `-'(. .)`-'
    '''00\_/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What's a "desktop user"? These terms are all stupid. Linux is ready for MY desktop, and that's the only desktop that I'm worried about.
    Exactly how it should be!

The point was more of a statement about the "desktop user" (aka average user) than the OS. The point is that the "average user" does not want to spend time to get things working, and in that vein "they are not ready for Linux" (not the other way around). Linux can do what they need, but only if they want to invest a little time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    I read a great quote from somebody in the mailing list of the local Linux Users Group I've joined. The mailer said:

"Linux IS ready for the desktop.....but is it ready for the desktop user?"
    I'll give that a no. Of course I my oppinion of the average user is pretty low. I can't count the number of times I've gone completely to the other end of campus on to help someone get a networked printer to work because they "already tried" the steps that I told them over the phone which are exactally what I do when I get there. Translation "I don't wanna, come do it for me." Is what I think is the mantra of the average user. So it's not ready until enough people can come to their rescue (for home users).

I'm probably being unfair as out of the thousands of students, faculty, and staff I seem to need to "pay a visit" to certain people twice a week. Who knows how many other techs they call in for simple tasks, taking us away from "real" issues. But such are the days of anyone with a tech job for any decent sized operation.

(I know, I know, techs never hear from the ones who do things like order dual head video cards and install and configure them on their own, which although quite easy, seems to be viewed as some sort of black magic by many.)
    Last edited by brokenLockpick; July 28th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
    I was the kid who just had to find for himself what happened if he stuck a fork in an outlet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@nearownkira The real question you should ask yourself , is why did you decide to move to Ubuntu.

As for me i am far more proud of myself ,and satisfy, since i succeed to switch to linux , the only think keeping me in windows are game(and i am even getting tired of them).
    My desktop is much more eyecandy ,than the vista one and my computer is running without problem; at least every time i had one, i managed to arrange it (Thanks to this forum) .

It's always the same with new Ubuntu user, once the found a problem they couldn't fix , they start creating post as , this OS is lame and suck .
    The road to success isn't easy , so the road to knowlegde .
    Don't use the command Rm -rf if you don't fully know what you are doing it can seriously damage ur system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nbayiha View Post
    It's always the same with new Ubuntu user, once the found a problem they couldn't fix , they start creating post as , this OS is lame and suck
    well, I think Hardy didn't reach a good rank when I remember Feisty was pretty good about "install-linux-and-get-almost-hardware-working-for-a-total-noob" category.

8.04.1 has improved Hardy but there still too many issues (Flash Player 10 beta 2 makes Firefox crashing, if you have an Intel video card, it won't be detected by X after installation - generic xorg.conf, etc), for a Linux newcomer is enough to return to Win (I doubt that users will try another distro if they encounter such a big trouble) ^^

Beans

I'm not a Linux guru by any means but I do have several certs from Comptia and Microsoft. It amazes me when people say they don't have the time to learn Linux, especially Ubuntu. Didn't we all have to learn Windows at some point? Over the past 6 months or so I've been gradually migrating from XP to Ubuntu. At this point I'm using Ubuntu for about 95% of what I do on the computer, and loving it I might add. The benefits far outweigh the complications! At some point I realized that I made Linux a lot harder than it really is, plus the support is fantastic. Sure it takes a little research to learn certain things but the great thing about it is, on the forums it's in plain english. Also, I don't understand the problems people have with printers. I guess because I only use HP printers. On my job I've used well over a dozen different model HP printers and never had a problem, just plug em in and start printing, try that with Windows. For Windows users, I think you will find that Ubuntu is a lot easier to use than Vista and the money you will save in hardware and/or software is very substantial.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast