Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSD w/ Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

SSD w/ Ubuntu

Dell doesn't offer ubuntu based notebooks with the 64gb SSD. Is there a problem with ubuntu and SSD on DELL? Would it be ok to purchase a non Ubuntu based DELL notebook with SSD and put Ubuntu on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SSD w/ Ubuntu

There is no problem. I have the m1330 with a 32 GB SSD and have had no issues at all with either Gutsy or Hardy. I ordered mine before they offered Ubuntu on the m1330 (and before they had the 64GB SSD), so I purchased it with Vista, I installed Ubuntu shortly after receiving it.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

thanks akniss,

how is the performance difference, battery, and quietness on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Though I don't have an SSD, it might be advisable to not use ext3 as the filesystem on it because it will cause excessive writes by default (on the order of every 5 seconds). Alternatively, you can use ext3 but tweak the system a bit to be less write intensive on the SSD. You could do that with one of these two guides: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=847773 or http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=839998.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Vor,
    I'm not the most knowledgeable about SSD but wouldn't it be more beneficial to use SSD instead of a normal HD because with an SSD you won't run into the problems of excessive disk activity eventually ruining the drive?

Also, I know ASUS has been making the EEEPC for a while with SSD drives and Linux on them. From the research I've done on them, they don't seem to have any problems handling it.

lee_connell,
    Due to the nature of an SSD, battery life is normally increased because it takes less power to run an SSD than a HD. It is definitely more quiet because you won't have physical parts moving around, which also makes it more durable against shock. And performance is normally slightly greater because again, there are no moving parts that have to get into place before a read/write can be accomplished. While this boils down to milliseconds, it's something... .

From what I've seen with SSD's right now, the biggest downside to them is their size and cost. But as with all hardware, that's temporary as they become more common.

Just my two cents.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by falcon61102 View Post
    Vor,
    I'm not the most knowledgeable about SSD but wouldn't it be more beneficial to use SSD instead of a normal HD because with an SSD you won't run into the problems of excessive disk activity eventually ruining the drive?
    Well, excessive disk writes can shorten the life of an SSD as well. They don't have problems with the infamous Load_Cycle_Count issue but, as I understand it, each "cell" in an SSD is only rated for a certain number of writes. The disk itself will do wear leveling to help increase the lifetime of the drive but, the constant writing of ext3 journal commits every 5 seconds or so certainly isn't beneficial to disk life. Now, whether or not it will shorten the life to something less than it's effective usefulness, I don't know.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I agree with you. Either way the 5 second commits are going produce wear on whatever drive they are going to whether SSD or normal. I like the speed and shock factor.

I've had too many drives go out on me due to my traveling so it's nice to see something a little more durable. And I'll take more speed anyday when it comes to moving data.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by falcon61102 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you. Either way the 5 second commits are going produce wear on whatever drive they are going to whether SSD or normal. I like the speed and shock factor.

I've had too many drives go out on me due to my traveling so it's nice to see something a little more durable. And I'll take more speed anyday when it comes to moving data.
    I certainly agree with the speed/durability aspect. Though, I must say that with people buying machines (even laptops) with 2GB or 4GB of RAM, after a day of normal usage, disk speed isn't much of an issue for most people because almost everything you need is cached in memory anyway.

Having said that, I still plan to upgrade to an SSD in the near future.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, good point. I'm planning to get one for an external so I don't have to worry about being as gentle with it as I do a regular drive.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    I certainly agree with the speed/durability aspect. Though, I must say that with people buying machines (even laptops) with 2GB or 4GB of RAM, after a day of normal usage, disk speed isn't much of an issue for most people because almost everything you need is cached in memory anyway.

Having said that, I still plan to upgrade to an SSD in the near future.
    In theory your right, but not in practicality. Unless your righting in excess of 5GB of data a day, your not going to harm your SSD. You should be more concerned about heat. I had a Supertalent MasterDrive MX in my Dell, and it was fried due to heat. To the OP I've used a 60GB Supertalent and am now using a 64GB OCZ Core 2 SSD. Both work fine. But a word of warning, shut off ACHI, only then will you get the correct read and write speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast