Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    1

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    same problem here. I'm using a sony nwz-a820 on ubuntu 9.04. when I connected my walkman on the computer, the sony walkman icon automatically appeared on the desktop, which means the device should've already been mounted, however, when i tried ls /dev/disk/by-label lah in terminal, it said directory not exit, and i got this gphoto2 error too...can anyone help? many thanks here

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    7

    Smile Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Hey guys, I also have a NWZ S615f Sony Walkman, and I tried to use it in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, to no avail.

    However, in 9.10 Karmic, the issue of mounting it has been solved, and it detects it automatically in Rythmbox and Amarok2. However, when I try to upload songs, after 80 songs or so, Rythmbox tells me there's been an error, and it stops uploading. Tried that in Amarok2 and it wasn't successful either.

    So, what I did was download Amarok 1.4 (which is still the greatest mp3 player, in my opinion) and tried. I followed the instructions given in this thread, and it worked just fine! However, seeing as 9.10 Karmic already mounts it when inserted, it was not necessary to add a pre-mount and post-mount command, just create a new Device, Generic Player, and that's it, no fuss.

    Any questions, I'm here =).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    13

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by osnofla View Post
    Hey guys, I also have a NWZ S615f Sony Walkman, and I tried to use it in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, to no avail.

    However, in 9.10 Karmic, the issue of mounting it has been solved, and it detects it automatically in Rythmbox and Amarok2. However, when I try to upload songs, after 80 songs or so, Rythmbox tells me there's been an error, and it stops uploading. Tried that in Amarok2 and it wasn't successful either.

    So, what I did was download Amarok 1.4 (which is still the greatest mp3 player, in my opinion) and tried. I followed the instructions given in this thread, and it worked just fine! However, seeing as 9.10 Karmic already mounts it when inserted, it was not necessary to add a pre-mount and post-mount command, just create a new Device, Generic Player, and that's it, no fuss.

    Any questions, I'm here =).
    I'm not so lucky as you
    s639f here...but i cannot mount it neither in amarok nor rhythmbox...only on nautilus but so I can't manage playlists...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Beans
    54
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by osnofla View Post
    Hey guys, I also have a NWZ S615f Sony Walkman, and I tried to use it in Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, to no avail.
    However, in 9.10 Karmic, ~~~~

    Any questions, I'm here =).
    Hello osnofla;
    I've a question, please.
    I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic & have downloaded the amarok-1.4.9.1.tar.bz2 file.

    How do I install it?

    Thank you,
    -Z

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    7

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Zaphod View Post
    Hello osnofla;
    I've a question, please.
    I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic & have downloaded the amarok-1.4.9.1.tar.bz2 file.

    How do I install it?

    Thank you,
    -Z

    Extract it (tar -xvzf amarok-1.4.9.1.tar.bz2), then go into the created directory, and run "sudo make", and then "make install". If you've got all the required libraries and stuff, it should go well, however, you may need to install aditional files, if such is the case, I suggest you use "sudo apt-get install name_of_file".

    If you still get lots of errors, you can try downloading amarok from a repository. I took the instructions from this page http://pcollaog.firefox.cl/2009/04/1...#comment-11043. It's in spanish, so here it goes in english:

    First, you must add a new repository. You may do this in Synaptic or directly editing the file sources.list, and the repository lines are:

    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

    (I know, it says jaunty, but it has worked that way.)Then, we import the keys of the repository:

    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver \
    keyserver.ubuntu.com 0x1d7e9dd033e89ba781e32a24b9f1c432ae74ae63

    And now, we just remove whatever's installed of amarok2, and then install amarok14 (It's been renamed so there's no confusion):

    sudo apt-get remove amarok
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install amarok14

    And that's it. I sometimes find that downloading .deb files from a repository is far easier than building source code, because there's almost always something missing. Anyways, try it.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Beans
    54
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by osnofla View Post
    Extract it (tar -xvzf amarok-1.4.9.1.tar.bz2), then go into the created directory, and run "sudo make", and then "make install". If you've got all the required libraries and stuff, it should go well, however, you may need to install aditional files, if such is the case, I suggest you use "sudo apt-get install name_of_file".
    ~~~~~~

    And that's it. I sometimes find that downloading .deb files from a repository is far easier than building source code, because there's almost always something missing. Anyways, try it.
    osnofla;

    Thank you. It's installed now.
    It doesn't seem to work 100% though. When I was on Ubuntu 8.4, with a different build of Amarok (using my Sony NWZ-E436F) it worked well ... better. The only thing that didn't work with the other version was that lots of the track info got lost in the transfer.
    Now it transfers files to walkman's home folder, instead of to where I set it, in a music folder.
    "Guess tags from filename" also no longer works.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks;
    -Z

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Amidst tall potatos
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    NwZ-E436F Sony Walkman recently obtained does not synch. Rythm Box shows a Sony Walkman is there, but what we have here is a failure to communicate.
    Any ideas on version 9.1? Is it the same as 9.04? Opening terminal widows and typing is shaky territory for me. Is there a cut paste of what goes in after the $ sign?
    Last edited by M&StL; January 1st, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    Hi,
    I have a Sony NWZ-S639F, and can't even do step 2. The player shows up as it is connecting in Computer, but after that, it dissapears, and doesn't seem to have a /media connection, and nor can I see a /dev 'link'. Can anyone help?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    1

    Re: How to: Use Sony NWZ- video walkman with Ubuntu

    I found the easiest way to put working playlist in a Sony Walkman Player (NWZ xxx, and others) on Linux (or not!).

    I spent so many hours on that problem, I wanna share it with people with the same problem.

    I´m on a Asus Eee PC 900 with Joli Os on it (so, made on ubuntu lucid lynx).

    I use Clementine (for Linux) as Music Manager.

    I plug my NWZ E344 and it automounts (in Nautilus and in Clementine) so I can only help people who see it mounted.

    So the trick is to forget having your playlist in the icon ¨playlist¨, because it´s made for working with Windows Media Player 11, so trying to workaround with that is too much time consuming and, endless.

    So, when your Sony Walkman mounts, you can see these folders in your filebrowser :



    So you just to create a new folder in the [MUSIC] folder, with the name of the wanted playlist.

    Then, go in your favorite music player, open the playlist you want to transfer, select all the files and drag and drop them in the previous created folder.

    And that´s it!

    So now you can still browse your song by artist or album or whatever, and if you want to listen to a playlist, just go in ¨Folder¨ in the Music icon in the player.

    I understand that if you have songs that are in more than one playlist you will have double files, but actually, it´s the only way to have working playlists on these Sony players, if you don´t want to use WMP 11.

    And with this trick you can do it from whatever computer (if your device shows up).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •