Thread: No USB in XP with virtualbox on Hardy

Beans

No USB in XP with virtualbox on Hardy

I followed tutorial and got virtualbox installed on Hardy.I did set up for usb. I can see usb's in the VM menu and add by name or description,but when I start xp the usb's are grey in drop box. I found that someone said to add line to etc/fstab, but don't know how to find etc/fstab, or add this line, # USB for vmware/vbox
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 sorry for being the dumb one but I just switched from windows and don't have much clue.plz. help. vb 1.5.6

Beans

Re: No USB in XP with virtualbox on Hardy

Before going any further... exactly WHICH tutorial did you follow? In other words, how did you install VirtualBox -- are you using the OSE or the PUEL version?
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

I used How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial] from ubuntu forums.

Beans

It's not OSE, I think it is PUEL

Beans

have you relogged yet?

Beans

yes I did reboot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by L.B. View Post
    It's not OSE, I think it is PUEL
    Yes... if you followed that thread, then you have the PUEL. That thread uses an out-of-date version of VirtualBox. The latest version (which I have installed) is 1.6.2. But lets not worry about that right now.

In order to edit your fstab file.... open a terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) and type:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you add your user account to the 'usbfs' group? After you do that you have to logout and log back in again.

If you don't know how to do this, go to system > administration > users and groups.

unlock and click on manage groups. Scroll down to usbfs and double click. It will bring up a box where you can click on your user name to add yourself to that group.

Try that and see what happens.

**edit**

Sorry, I didn't see that you don't know how to edit fstab. Luckily, while I was posting, someone else told you how to. Read what he said above, do that and then do what I said and everything will be fine.
    Last edited by cszikszoy; July 21st, 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: because I'm good at reading

Beans

THANK YOU HOTSHOTDJ!!!!!!!!!! I owe you a cup of joe!!!!!!!!!