Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make Ubuntu look nicer?

Beans

How to make Ubuntu look nicer?

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to Linux. I currently have Ubuntu 8.04.1 installed through Wubi. Right now my desktop and everything looks very plain. I have seen some videos that show Ubuntu just look awesome, and would like to know how to do it. Things like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyyC4LRoYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uE...eature=related

Thanks for any help you can provide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to make Ubuntu look nicer?

Have a look at www.gnome-look.org
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello!

I am a KDE user, but if I remind well, you have in top menú the desktop preferences. You can change style of widgets, colors, icons and window decoration.

You can check this page: www.gnome-look.org in order to preview and download wished styles, icons...

I'm sorry but I cannot help you much more, I'm not a Gnome user.

Bye!

EDIT: bumanie is faster than me!!
    SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH!!! I DO ALL THAT I CAN!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Under System > Preferences > Appearance are a few options to change the look of Ubuntu. For instance, you can choose a different overall theme, you can add a background image to the desktop, or, to make a more radical change, you can choose the Visual Effects option: this allows you to choose things like transparent windows and wobbly windows, I believe (I've never applied it myself but it is very popular with some people).
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Compiz Fusion, Emerald window manager, New Icons, Fonts...

Beans
    Hidden!

Format the drive and install openSUSE!

LOL

But seriously, first of all you will need to make sure that you have the "proprietary" video drivers installed and 3d working.

There are tons of guides on here for that, but you will have to first know what make and model video card you have.

You can find that out by opening a terminal and typing:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Copy and paste that line, as case IS important.

You can find out if you are already running 3d capabilities by typing:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    If it says YES, then you are in luck and can then enable "Desktop Effects" and do all that whizbang stuff that you have probably seen on youtube

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Growbag View Post
    Format the drive and install openSUSE!

LOL

But seriously, first of all you will need to make sure that you have the "proprietary" video drivers installed and 3d working.

There are tons of guides on here for that, but you will have to first know what make and model video card you have.

You can find that out by opening a terminal and typing:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Copy and paste that line, as case IS important.

You can find out if you are already running 3d capabilities by typing:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    If it says YES, then you are in luck and can then enable "Desktop Effects" and do all that whizbang stuff that you have probably seen on youtube

Good luck.

Isn't openSUSE a different version of Linux? I downloaded Ubuntu on a recomendation from someone on the linux forums. This is literally my first time ever using Linux. Only had it for 2 days now lol.

Anyways, yes my graphics card is installed and working properly. Going to look at that website that was posted and see if I can figure it out... Wish me luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    in a terminal. that will install the compiz settings manager. It will let you choose effects like desktop cube, expo, window animations, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think Ubuntu 8.04 comes with Compiz.

First you will need to enable special effect. Go to Preference -> Apperance and one of tabs should allow to enable special effects.

Oddly the compiz settings manager is not installed by default. You will need to install the compiz settings manager which can be installed through the synaptic manager (easy) or by using the terminal as previous poster mentioned. This installs the manager in your preference drop down menu.
    You should google 'compiz commands' to find out how to do the special effects.

Fancy themes can be downloaded from the gnome look website. Put them some where in your home-drive and install them using again preferences -> appearances and one of the tabs should say something like themse. (I am using not my ubuntu machine so I have to be a bit vague). Personally I have not found one that really appeals to me and I am still stuck with the Human theme.

Beans

I refer to my guide in the bottom of my post.

To get an idea of what is possible:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/screenshots/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast