Thread: Help, Compiz plugins hosed my Gnome

Beans

Exclamation Help, Compiz plugins hosed my Gnome

Hi,
    I installed some updates for Compiz in order to achieve the globe effect. Bad mistake. After I restarted I have nothing but a black screen. The mouse moves. What I'd like to do is undo what it was that I did. Can this be done? Can Compiz be prevented from starting? I used Synaptic to install these plugins, is there a way to "undo" the installation from there? I'm using Gnome but I also have Xfce, which sort of works - flickering screen, flickering Conky and unresponsive Awn. I'm not sure what will and won't work, though.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz 6 GB RAM
    GeForce GT320 1024 MB + HDMI
    Dual boot Win 7 ZorinOS

Beans

Re: Help, Compiz plugins hosed my Gnome

can u uninstall the plugins from xfce? are you familiar with installing and uninstalling via the terminal?

if it really is just the plugins messing up ur computer then a sudo apt-get remove <plugin> should suffice. if they messed with the xorg then ur gonna have to rebuild it...see if u can uninstall the plugins first. u might have to do it from the recovery menu.

Beans

Thanks for the quick response. I used Xfce to disable Compiz and now I have a more-or-less usable desktop. Is there any way to identify exactly what plugins it is that I installed? Would complete removal and re-install of Compiz be a better idea?
    Dual boot Win 7 ZorinOS

Beans

I see where I made my mistake. When I was installing the plugins I inadvertantly added a Hardy Heron repo and I'm using Gutsy. I still don't know how to fix it.
    This is what I added to my software sources: http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu. It's Hardy Main.

Any ideas?
    Dual boot Win 7 ZorinOS