I have a laptop with two seperate 80gb hdd's, currently running xp pro sp2. i am looking to dual boot ubuntu 8.04 with this, but i have some serious questions.
-I know that i want the entire ubuntu install encrypted, using this guide (http://www.howtoforge.com/encrypting...-ubuntu8.04-p1).
-i know that i want to use the minimal cd iso and build my ubuntu from there.
-i know that i want a seperate /home partition.
-i know that i want to be able to install the newer releases of ubuntu as they become available (move from hardy to intrepid without losing /home data)
-i think i want my partitioning scheme as follows
hard drive one
partition 1 - windows xp - ntfs
partition 2 - ubuntu - ext3 - encrypted
partition 3 - ubuntu /home - ext3 (i would also like to be able to access these files from my windows partition using...) - encrypted
partition 4 - swap
if i create the partitions using the menu that comes with the minimal iso installer, will it erase my existing windows partition?
i am still contemplating which formats to use (ext3, xfs, reiser)
1. when the time comes, how would i install intrepid on top of hardy without affecting /home?
2. will the answer to question 1 completely remove all of the apps that i installed on hardy and/or install apps not on my hardy installation?
3. is there a way to write a script to reinstall the apps that i had on hardy onto intrepid?
4. since i am building from the minimal cd anyway, is there going to be that much of a difference between hardy and intrepid, other than kernel and themes)
5. once i get the perfect install, what is the best way to create an iso of my custom install so that i can burn a cd and install the same setup(not partitions, just apps and themes and stuff) on other computers for different users?
6. any other problems that may occur?
thank you in advance for all of your help and suggestions. i am looking forward to perfecting this.