Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I make an old laptop act as a 2nd screen?

Beans

Re: Can I make an old laptop act as a 2nd screen?

synergy - yeah, but it also works across the network. I didn't realize that. This laptop doesn't even have a modem port on it... so network access is out.

I've been checking craigslist for a cheap lcd panel, like a 15 or 17 inch that somebody is dumping off for 30 bucks or less. We'll see what I can find.

What's better? To use the xorg route, or the nvidia route? I'll do whatever is simplest + more efficient at getting this done. I just googled a bit and that's what I found with multiple screens on the hardy:guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Oh, well if the laptop doesn't have any network ports then its pretty useless no matter how you cut it, barring of course some DIY modding of the graphics connector.

If you have an nvidia card, using the "nvidia" xserver video driver will give you better graphics performance than using the open source "nv" driver.

Beans

Meh, throw the laptop idea out. It'll just sit here, offering no purpose to me whatsoever from here on out.

But, I would like to make use of the VGA port on my graphics card I'm not using, and perhaps this old CRT I got sitting around...

But why is it when I open nvidia settings and detect both monitors, that the 2nd monitor is the one that takes over, leaving my primary LCD to be turned off with no signal? What am I doing wrong?

Beans

synergy will allow you to control both computers with one mouse and one keyboard. it will not extend you desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krsmit0 View Post
    synergy will allow you to control both computers with one mouse and one keyboard. it will not extend you desktop.
    Again...

Synergy requires a network connection. The laptop has no network connection. That idea is out...

I hooked up the CRT and messed with the settings some more. I used twinview. There is a setting, which has the options "above, below, right of, left of, center, absolute" etc... Which one should each monitor be set to?

Also - Something I noticed is, when I adjust my monitors accordingly (which isn't correct to what I want) I end up with an extended desktop...

I want to have dual screen like I did with XP before. It allowed me to drag a window to the second monitor. If I maximized that window, it would maximize to that second display. Not across both displays.

Anybody know the settings I need?

Beans

Any ideas? All I'm looking for is the appropriate settings for a nvidia card with dual screen. In the nvidia settings manager, I have no idea what should be what... anybody with a dual screen setup with nvidia, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations on what I can do with an ati card? I was tinkering around with dual screen on my laptop, which runs an ati card. Any input?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123