Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't Gnome Keyring a fully fledged password manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Why isn't Gnome Keyring a fully fledged password manager?

Many times Gnome developers don't really grasp the potential of some of their own apps. The Keyring is, IMO, a perfect example.

No one should need to use any other password manager while having a desktop-wide one like this, but still Keyring only holds one or two passwords in most systems (most notably, Network Manager's).

Why don't Keyring developers take a look at Roboform (for instance) and make Keyring actually useful?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why isn't Gnome Keyring a fully fledged password manager?

because not many apps in gnome NEED a passowrd (except for like you said network manager), its up to other apps to take advantage of the keyring thats included in most gnome installations

stuff like instant messaging clients, email checkers, anything that requires a password could do well by having it save the password in gnome keyring. Hell, pidgin saves its passwords as plain text, it would help a lot.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm certain the Gnome developers will kindly accept your patches.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    because not many apps in gnome NEED a passowrd (except for like you said network manager), its up to other apps to take advantage of the keyring thats included in most gnome installations
    I wonder if it's easy to do so or not. I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that only if it's easy for programmers to use Keyring, they would.

stuff like instant messaging clients, email checkers, anything that requires a password could do well by having it save the password in gnome keyring. Hell, pidgin saves its passwords as plain text, it would help a lot.
    You see? There are quite a number of places where the Keyring could do something. In Roboform you can also save credit card information, web-site login forms (with more than the usual username-password pair), and more. It is the app that talks to Firefox and not the other way round, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    I'm certain the Gnome developers will kindly accept your patches.
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Last edited by sicofante; July 21st, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

-grubby is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sicofante View Post
    You see? There are quite a number of places where the Keyring could do something. In Roboform you can also save credit card information, web-site login forms (with more than the usual username-password pair), and more.

What's that supposed to mean?
    Writing code for gnome-keyring-manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Writing code for gnome-keyring-manager
    As if everyone on Earth writes code? What an absurd assumption.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I forgot the [sarcasm] tags

Has the idea never occured to you that the reason gnome-keyring doesn't have the features you think it should have might just be because the Gnome team doesn't have a developer available and/or interested for coding it?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh... You must be one of the rare ones that don't
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

<preachy rant>
    You know,
    just because somebody can't code, does not mean that they can't have an idea that is brilliant. i find the negative feedback that people get just for suggesting something that has to do with an existing program very exhausting.

There might very well be a reason why gnome keyring is not a full fledged password manager, but a simple explanation of why you think that is, would be better than all out sarcasm.

Answers like, maybe you should code it yourself are especially annoying as contrary to popular belief, most people on this forum can not code.
    Perhaps this was not the best forum to suggest what he did, but a simple: "hey, why don't you post on the gnome forums" would do, wouldn't you think?

Now, if I am reading this out of context, then please forgive me, but if I'm not, then we need to change our attitude.
    </preachy rant>
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by quinnten83 View Post
    You know,
    just because somebody can't code, does not mean that they can't have an idea that is brilliant.
    Yes, I know. Are you, by any chance, trying to tell me that no one ever got the idea of having gnome-keyring manage all passwords in Gnome applications? I'm pretty sure someone did already. So I repeat, the reason this is not implemented is most likely one of the following:

1) The Gnome devs decided that it was irrelevant, too complicated, or otherwise unsuitable.
    2) The Gnome devs liked the idea, but at the moment, no one is available and/or interested for coding it.

So if someone really wants this feature implemented into gnome-keyring right now, they must go talk to the Gnome devs and either try and convince then of the greatness of such a feature, or tell them they're interested in implementing it.

That's how it works, no offense meant to anyone.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast