Thread: a usb wireless adapter with good linux support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

a usb wireless adapter with good linux support

Since I've been having major issues with the built in wireless chip on my laptop (see the multitude of threads about Realtek wireless chips) I'm thinking about getting a usb wireless adapter to use with the system instead. I realise this is normally something that's targeted at desktop users, but does anyone know of a good usb wireless adapter that supports Linux well? Preferably one that's plug and play (pardon my borrowing of the windows term).

Basically, I just need a USB adapter that I can plug into a USB port, connect to my WEP/WPA2/PSK, etc. router, and surf the web. I don't know if any of these come with bluetooth built in too, but if so that would be a benefit too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: a usb wireless adapter with good linux support

I use Atheros wireless exclusively with all linux Never had a problem with any of them. Avoiding Broadcom and Realtek is pretty wise... intel chips can be pretty random in my experience.

Beans
    Distro

Re: a usb wireless adapter with good linux support

Unfortunately the Thinkpad was the only computer within my price range that I could get quickly enough to replace my HP laptop that died suddenly (three days before I left for an extended trip). I think this will be my first and last time with Realtek, if I can avoid it.

Does Atheros make USB wireless adapters? I can't find any on newegg.com, to start, and in addition I need something that supports WEP, since that's what the routers in the complex I'm living in are using. Do you think this one would work?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833180066

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have a Linksys WUSB54GV and it works pretty damn well.

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps I'm thinking of something different? I guess in my head, I'm picturing something like my first link, where it's a small USB device that I can plug into my computer to access wi-fi networks, just like I could with the embedded wireless chip? Since I'm hoping to use this to replace the functionality of my internal chip, I'm hoping for something a bit more portable.

Thanks!

EDIT: So something small like this: http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wire...=pd_sbs_misc_5 but Linux and WEP compatible as well (maybe this one fits those criteria; I'm not sure).
    Last edited by pythonscript; May 31st, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have one of these, it just plain works, even using the Live CD.

Beans

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166022

I've had good luck with the two Rosewill wireless adapters I've used in the past in Linux (both were PCI though, but whatever it's just a different interface), and according to the reviews on Newegg, it works out of the box in Linux, so that should work just fine. But nowadays, almost anything you find should work, and if you're not sure, just search through the reviews and usually someone will mention if it works in Linux or not.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there exist some out there with built in bluetooth, but I'm not gonna look for any. I just bought one of these for $2.00 (that was with shipping), and it works just fine so far in Linux (connected my Wiimote to it to play SNES games ): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026SKZO0
    Last edited by doorknob60; May 31st, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I use a linksys WUSB54GC. Works fine with a very minor bit of work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166022

I've had good luck with the two Rosewill wireless adapters I've used in the past in Linux (both were PCI though, but whatever it's just a different interface), and according to the reviews on Newegg, it works out of the box in Linux, so that should work just fine. But nowadays, almost anything you find should work, and if you're not sure, just search through the reviews and usually someone will mention if it works in Linux or not.
    I had that same one for a while, but for some reason it kept slowing my router down to 5.5mbps and it didn't do that in Windows. The Linux driver seems to be a bit buggy.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM