Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

the live cd approach works. i gave out a live cd to a friend who said oh! and put it away , then 1 week latter i saw this friend show another , look he said isn`t this cool . this was a windows user to windows user ! i was not in the picture all i did was plant the seed . they then came to me asking what is this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I always approach it this way. I mention that I use linux and leave it at that unless they throw a question at me. :-]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How about the elitist approach? Boast about how linux Is for "serious" users, a "toy for hackers" the "best", and "most secure." be Arrogant, and slightly secretive about how to get it. you'll have em eating out of the palm of your hands, and they'll be asking to get on board. Down right refuse, say "stick with windows kid" and walk away. They'll be lovin linux the next day.
    Nah I'm not really a jerk, but linux Does have the juice to back an elitist appeal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    How about the elitist approach? Boast about how linux Is for "serious" users, a "toy for hackers" the "best", and "most secure." be Arrogant, and slightly secretive about how to get it. you'll have em eating out of the palm of your hands, and they'll be asking to get on board. Down right refuse, say "stick with windows kid" and walk away. They'll be lovin linux the next day.
    Nah I'm not really a jerk, but linux Does have the juice to back an elitist appeal.
    This can have adverse side effects, though, since it does not work for everyone (I know it wouldn't work on me). I would just be like "Fine, take your crummy OS, I don't care about it, and was just wondering. >.>"
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yes I agree. Not all appeals work the same on everyone. I would be offendded by my caracterization of implementing the "elitist appeal," However in real life, Computer hackers, linux users, and the sort are undeniably "underground" and therefore unknown, misunderstood, respected, and feared. lets see: we can assure people that linux makes them sexy. we can recount mohammed ali's testimonial, we can be informative like a Chiat Dei Advertisement. There are a few more. trust me, when I say, linux has the juice to attract. An opportunity to join the elite is not easily passed up. And in fact it will encourage competent users to learn about (and ultimately switch) to linux. eThis of course will lure incompetent users (like myself) also, but only those with a motivation to be great and unique at what they do. Telling someone that they can check their Email with Ubuntu (if thats all they do) isn't going to get them to switch. Telling them that it's free won't either. Telling them that they are not savvy enough, smart enough, and sexy enough, will get them to switch in rapid mode. Because it will then make them all of those things.
    please recognize that my words are chosen to be colorful for the concept and not actually how I would write the copy on an elitist appeal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

quote from aysiu's blog titled, a new linux desktoop tactic; play hard to get: "Elitists make even those who have an open mind feel too intimidated to make what could be an easy transition".

What kind of elitists are you talking about? The ones who are kickass computer hackers, the ones who don't get viruses? The ones who are in a tight fraternity/community because we know we have something special to share with each other, The ones who are enlightened enough to have tried it in the first place? The list of linux users' constitutions goes on, and essentially the qualities are admirable (I'm speaking of you, reader!). I merely needed to want to be better with my computer, so I looked around and found a group of users who are in my opinion, elite. So I ask, " do I really care if someone is intimidated by those who are better off in this specific regard? We are talking about a wee minority of folks who need an appointment with a shrink.
    I think of the icon where Tux is about to swat the butterfly. hehe I saw that before I knew Linux. It was elitist. Tux was strong, butterfly small and frail. WE CRUSH YOUR BUTTERFLY TUX SMASH PUNY BUG
    Last edited by adamogardner; July 29th, 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have no idea what the rest of your post means, but I'll respond to this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    What kind of elitists are you talking about?
    I'm talking about the kind of elitist who looks down on users who know less than she does.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

oh yeah, those people suck. Community is key for this sort of project.

Beans
    Hidden!

Agree completely with OP!

Hopefully more ubuntu users realize this.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast