Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Beans

Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Quote Originally Posted by lifestream View Post
    If I ever get a hold of her laptop (maybe this christmas?) I am so installing xubuntu on that box, and she's having no say about it
    Oh, and she won't have the root password, that's for sure. If she needs anything done with sudo, I'll do it for her with remove desktop
    Don't do this. Its acts like this which make people hate Linux. If someone doesn't want to use it, its their choice, so leave it alone. What you talked about is exactly what I'm against. If you want her to use Ubuntu, just stop helping her with her comp. I did that with a couple of my friends who relied on me too much for tech support. I explained that I didn't have anything against them, it was just I was getting tired of fixing Windows's problems. I didn't try to convert them, I just explained that I use Ubuntu which has less problems for me, and it might not for them (they already knew I used Ubuntu).
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Just dropped by. I agree with you smartboyathome, Linux is about choice (how you want it to look like, behave,...).
    It's main difference with OSX and Windows is that Apple and Microsoft shove their software up you face and expect you to use it.

When people see the cube, they want Linux. When my friends wanted to switch because of this, I told them first the pro's (flash files in /tmp, compiz,...) and con's (program X doesn't work,...). After that, I told them something that changed their mind:
    "Do you really need to and are you absolutely sure you want to? Come on, you're doing fine on Windows, I don't think you need to switch that much."

Beans

Lightbulb Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

I actually use Ubuntu, but because it has crashed once and I had to make a real big deal of effort to get Skype to work, my advice to others is not to install Ubuntu. I've spoken to some people at school who have experienced Ubuntu, and they all say it's not worth it - gives you too much trouble. Now I know Ubuntu is not noob-proof. And I appreciate all the hard work that has been put into this software. I will keep on using and supporting Ubuntu for as long as I cannot afford to buy a Microsfot Windows license (the right to the license of which I lost in what is a rather interesting story that will bring tears to your left eye).

Ubuntu is promising, but until it surpasses the commercial versions out there in user friendliness and stability, it won't get a major market share. But maybe that's good! Because it keeps us indie ; )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bödvar View Post
    I actually use Ubuntu, but because it has crashed once and I had to make a real big deal of effort to get Skype to work, my advice to others is not to install Ubuntu. I've spoken to some people at school who have experienced Ubuntu, and they all say it's not worth it - gives you too much trouble. Now I know Ubuntu is not noob-proof. And I appreciate all the hard work that has been put into this software. I will keep on using and supporting Ubuntu for as long as I cannot afford to buy a Microsfot Windows license (the right to the license of which I lost in what is a rather interesting story that will bring tears to your left eye).

Ubuntu is promising, but until it surpasses the commercial versions out there in user friendliness and stability, it won't get a major market share. But maybe that's good! Because it keeps us indie ; )
    Pre-Hardy, I would have agreed with most of what you said. But Hardy really established a solid platform for Ubuntu in itself, and Intrepid has only built on it more.

Everybody who knows me knows I use Ubuntu and swear by it, but most of my friends aren't interested in trying it out due to the fact they buy pre-fab computers from Dell and whatnot... so to them they're getting Windows for "free" so why not use it? Flawed logic, but I can see the 2 birds with 1 stone theory they're thinking about.

However... my buddy, whom I've known since I was 14 (I'm 22), finally tried Ubuntu three nights ago. He left a 15gb partition available when he installed XP last month, and that's where Ubuntu lies.

We installed it around 9pm. I explained some things to him, software sources, apt-get install, different programs, the way things work, compiz, etc.

I go home, wake up the next morning, and I have instant message after instant message of him saying how great it is and what all customizations and things he's done to it already. I was completely shocked. And this is a guy who hasn't gone through tech school yet, so his computer knowledge is limited to personal experience.

So, to build on the topic, Ubuntu is not noob-proof... I agree. But I don't think Windows is either. Ever see the look on some peoples faces when you mention "device manager?" I work in IT support... so it's an everyday thing for me to see.

Beans

The folks at my work can't seem to keep viruses off their home computers. They'll come to me, often with the computer in tow, asking for advice and if I could maybe please take a look. Ugh. No more.

Now I step people through the process of doing it properly, and they are generally shocked.

1. Back up the user data (preferably to a non-windows computer)
    2. Clean the user data from both Windows and Linux (compare the results)
    3. Zero the drive
    4. Re-install Windows
    5. Restore user data
    5a. Patch Windows *

This process takes up the better part of the day, I tell them, and sorry but your antivirus is useless because it hasn't been kept up to date. (INVARIABLY I'm told "no, no I'm very good at keeping it up to date." Sure, whatever. That must be why it says it hasn't been updated in six months.)

Anyway, from now on if somebody comes to me with a virus-related issue, I will inform them that there is a free system available that is proof against viruses and sorry, but I haven't got time to rid their Windows system of problems AGAIN. I'll be happy to install and test this nice free thing for them though, because I'm confident it will be the last I hear from 'em.
    Last edited by decoherence; November 9th, 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: ADD: 5a. Patch Windows, which I usually leave on overnight. Sometimes it's even done by the next day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with this post.
    I am a new user, so am trying really hard to hide my excitement of a new thing and not show off. I have done pretty well.
    One of my housemates would like Linux, but she is not incredibly computer smart. I have decided she is best sticking with Windows XP for the moment, because it does everything she wants it to do.
    I may change her over to Ubuntu at a later date, but only when I feel confident that I know all the features so I can give her help and support if she needs it.
    Last edited by tuxsheadache; November 9th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.
    Laptop: Ubuntu 10.04, Dell Studio 15, Core i5-450M (~2.4Ghz) 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470, 4GB (~1333MHz) DDR3.
    PC 1: Ubuntu 11.04/Windows 7, M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP, AMD X2 5050e (~2.6Ghz, 45W), 2GB (~800Mhz),256MB Sapphire Radeon HD2600XT.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't understand why people consider that you have to be a computer geek before tux will allow you near him.The guys in the video linked below are only semi-literate,computer illiterate and hold the lowest class of employment in a government agency(in India).Mind,this is only their 5th day using a computer and needless to say,they have no experience with a Linux based desktop.They can still amuse themselves with the game KTuberling on the KDE desktop.
    It's actually only the *computer-literate* who find diffculties because they ahve to unlearn and relearn the new way of doing things.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=1-eRkwIOB2w
    Last edited by meindian523; November 10th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    It's actually only the *computer-literate* who find diffculties because they ahve to unlearn and relearn the new way of doing things.
    Especially those *computer-literate* who say Linux is only for programmers/hackers/geeks!

I even suspect most of the *computer-illiterate* won't be able to tell the difference between Linux and Windows/OSX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Good example. While having a pre-meeting chat at work today two fellows are discussing the Mac/WinXP programs they like while one tries to solicit his Mac application preferences in order to position himself as a new Mac user. He says, "What do you use for notes, I'm thinking of switching"

Finally after saying nothing the Mac user says to me, "Mike what do you use?" To which I reply, "I'm a happy Linux user, it gives me the choices and freedom I like!"

Mike

PS - That may be as much a zing on the Apple head as a prop up for Ubuntu/Linux!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maphilli14 View Post
    Good example. While having a pre-meeting chat at work today two fellows are discussing the Mac/WinXP programs they like while one tries to solicit his Mac application preferences in order to position himself as a new Mac user. He says, "What do you use for notes, I'm thinking of switching"

Finally after saying nothing the Mac user says to me, "Mike what do you use?" To which I reply, "I'm a happy Linux user, it gives me the choices and freedom I like!"

Mike

PS - That may be as much a zing on the Apple head as a prop up for Ubuntu/Linux!
    That statement means absolutely nothing to a user that just types things up every so often and maybe browses the internet now and then.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast