Thread: [SOLVED] Help, cant delete a file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Help, cant delete a file

I used alien to convert a rpm file to a deb file so I could use it on ubuntu.. In the process of converting, it left a file on my desktop that I cannot delete. It has a lock on the icon and everytime I try to delete it I get a permission denied error. What can I do to get rid of this file?

Beans

Re: Help, cant delete a file

Get root permissions to delete it. In a command line do a
    Code:
    sudo rm /home/USERNAME/Desktop/FILE
    if it's a folder it'd be
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /home/USERNAME/Desktop/FILE
    You could also
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    for a GUI solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you so much The command worked, Thanks for giving me the command for both folders and files. /me saves.

I did however try to do it via Nautilus first and got an error which is pasted below. When nautilus did finally come up it didnt show the file I wanted to delete. Is there something wrong with my Nautilus installation? I noticed I dont have a shortcut to Nautilus anywhere and it doesnt show up under the applications menu. That normal?

Initializing nautilus-share extension

** (nautilus:9566): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not supported
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
    Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

--- Hash table keys for warning below:
    --> file:///

(nautilus:9566): Eel-WARNING **: "nautilus-metafile.c: metafiles" hash table still has 1 element at quit time (keys above)

(nautilus:9566): Eel-WARNING **: "nautilus-directory.c: directories" hash table still has 1 element at quit time
    seahorse nautilus module shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzel View Post
    I noticed I dont have a shortcut to Nautilus anywhere and it doesnt show up under the applications menu. That normal?
    Perfectly normal. All of those shortcuts in the Places menu will open Nautilus. If you especially wanted one, you could right-click on the Menu, select Edit Menus and tick the box next to File Browser in Accessories. It's exactly the same as Places -> Home, though.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Darn. PurposeOfReason beat me to it.
    It's not that hard to train a pengiun to do stunts. Just say, sudo roll-over or sudo play-dead.
    Caffeine-induced designs by http://www.johnimbong.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You should be careful with that sudo rm -rf command, the f forces it to delete everything in the directory without asking for your permission. I would sugest using a sudo rm -r to delete directories.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] Help, cant delete a file

Thanks for all the help guys. Learning more everyday.. This is a great community!