Thread: Dial-UP

Beans

Dial-UP

I have tried dial-up before on some Linux installations and found it to be horriblly hard to get working.

I've not tried dial-up under Ubuntu (not having any dial-up service to access). How easy is it to use?

I ask this because at home I have a PC with a 2GHZ CPU and 384 MB of RAM. While this works well under XP with SP2, it will probably be horribly slow with XP SP3. As my elderly parents will be using the PC I need something very simple for them to use, which won't need a ton of explanations over the phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Dial-UP

The only web site I know of that deals with these monstrosities is:

http://www.linmodems.org/

There are other threads on the UF about modems, but I think a good external modem is better nowadays than an internal modem.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Re: Dial-UP

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    The only web site I know of that deals with these monstrosities is:

http://www.linmodems.org/

There are other threads on the UF about modems, but I think a good external modem is better nowadays than an internal modem.
    Oddly enough, that PC does have an external modem connected via the seriel port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Dial-UP

Quote Originally Posted by Fred the blarney owl View Post
    Oddly enough, that PC does have an external modem connected via the seriel port.
    Sweet - you may even get that going tonight!

good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You should have no problem getting online if you have an external modem. Use wvdial to get online, then download gnome-ppp. It's very easy to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another thing to consider is your parent's dial-up service provider.

Most providers are OS-neutral. However there are a few that require users to dial-in using proprietary software. These proprietary software are mostly windows-based with no linux equivalent.

-------------

+1 on the external serial modem. I have yet to encounter an external serial modem I couldn't use with ubuntu. The hardest part will probably come from setting the dialer program to connect to the ISP. The 2nd link on my sig contains a wealth of info on the different dialer programs available.