Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto get Nintendo Entertainment System running?

Beans

Howto get Nintendo Entertainment System running?

So I have original NES from 1986 and I'm trying to get it running but without any luck. Here is a what i have http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nt_system.jpeg. It's European version (region 1?).

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Howto get Nintendo Entertainment System running?

It may be broken or worn out - remember it's a pretty old piece of hardware.

I'm not sure a Linux forum is the best place to ask, either - there must be forums or newsgroups around old consoles.

Beans

Maybe, i just can't find any.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Ussop View Post
    Maybe, i just can't find any.
    http://forums.benheck.com/index.php

dedicated to pretty much all consoles ever. though the major purpose of the forums is modification, I would think with all the technical expertise used in modifying the consoles would be helpful for fixing problems (especially since they often have to fix their consoles after messing them up while modifying them).

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Howto get Nintendo Entertainment System running?

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/...nes_mod_en.php

Deals with some fixes and mods. I think some may be relevant to you. I'm not even sure if my NES works. It's sitting on the shelf with zapper, controllers, AC adapter and video cable. I just stick to using emulators for the outdated systems. Eventually that'll be the only way
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does it power up at all when you press the power button? (I assume you've plugged in all cables) If it does, but you just can't get it to play any games, it's probably the connector that's worn out. They can be easily replaced. You can get one for $15 or so. Just google NES + connector and you shouldn't have any problems finding one.
    However, if your NES doesn't power up at all, you have a bigger problem. If you can get your hands on another set of cables, you can always check if your cables are just work out - but that's a bit of a long shot.
    There are shops that specialize in repairing old consoles, so if you're willing to spend some money on yours, you can always get it repaired there. Or you could just buy a "new" one. Here in Sweden you can easily get a used one for $80.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    Does it power up at all when you press the power button? (I assume you've plugged in all cables) If it does, but you just can't get it to play any games, it's probably the connector that's worn out. They can be easily replaced. You can get one for $15 or so. Just google NES + connector and you shouldn't have any problems finding one.
    However, if your NES doesn't power up at all, you have a bigger problem. If you can get your hands on another set of cables, you can always check if your cables are just work out - but that's a bit of a long shot.
    There are shops that specialize in repairing old consoles, so if you're willing to spend some money on yours, you can always get it repaired there. Or you could just buy a "new" one. Here in Sweden you can easily get a used one for $80.
    $80 for a used NES? I bought my last one for $10

The one before that I also got for $10 but it also came with an SNES and a buttload of games.

Beans

I got mine new an eternity ago, and it still is going strong... too bad LoZ and Mario 2 are dead...

But some things just don't last forever and here a used one is usually only five dollars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wish I could find a cheap one. They're getting hard to find, and are usually expensive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by NxZDr View Post
    I got mine new an eternity ago, and it still is going strong... too bad LoZ and Mario 2 are dead...

But some things just don't last forever and here a used one is usually only five dollars.
    tough break. I was actually just playing LoZ an hour ago.

anyways, I just un-shrinkwrapped a copy of Ice Hockey I had bought from Starland after my first NES broke. It was Dead on Arrival. unfortunately, Starland no longer exists, either .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast