Thread: Noob... nead help... just about to give up on linux

Beans

Noob... nead help... just about to give up on linux

OK... long story short

I'm trying to setup Ubuntu 8.04 on an HP530 laptop and I'm running into two issues one more important than the other.

1) Internet connection. I've got a Broadcom BCM94311MCG... installed ndiswrapper 1.53 succesfully... installed bcmwl5.inf succesfully... rebooted... the signal light for my wireless device comes on sometimes... still getting nothing from any of the wireless networks around me... I don't really know what to do from here as I'm new at this

2) less important and probably for another forum. compiz settings... I figured, if I couldn't get the internet working, I might as well mess around with some other settings... and as I'm still working on this one, I may figure it out before I get an answer on this... but I am completely confused as to where to find the material to install this... all of the links at compiz.org are bad and I've more or less got nothing

I'm about to see if I can at least run video off of Ubuntu... if I run into any sort of Codec trouble, I'll refer back to this forum, but as much as I'm down with linux in theory, I'm just about done with this OS

Postscript: Yeah... as anyone more familiar with this OS might gather... I need to be connected to the internet to avoid those codec issues
    Last edited by Cybersomatix; July 20th, 2008 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Noob... nead help... just about to give up on linux

For your wireless problem, check out the thread in my sig for the hp dv6636nr laptop. We have the same wireless cards.

For compiz settings manager... Open synaptic package manager. System > Administration > Synaptic. Look for the package compizconfig-settings-manager. That will provide you with a program to tweak compiz.

Beans

As much as I don't expect it to work, thanks... I'll try it

As far as the second part though... all of the compiz packages I have are installed... I see a compizconfig-backend-gconf, but not a compizconfig-settings-manager
    Last edited by Cybersomatix; July 20th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

As far as the second part though... all of the compiz packages I have are installed... I see a compizconfig-backend-gconf, but not a compizconfig-settings-manager
    Applications > Add/Remove > Show: 'All Available Applications' > Search: ccsm > click on ccsm box > apply changes > apply > close.

Read Forlong's Blog for information on how to set up compiz-fusion.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Noob... nead help... just about to give up on linux

Focus on one thing at a time.

Follow the instructions carefully, not skipping any steps.

I suggest getting the Internet working first so you can get some codecs and packages downloaded to the PC.

It will happen. Have patience.

Don't Panic!

Install the Ethernet cable to the laptop for the time being. Things will get worked out.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.