Thread: Some perfomance benchmarks

Beans

Some perfomance benchmarks

Hey, been searching for awhile and I can't find any up to date performance benchmarks for XP vs ubuntu. I'm currently playing Everquest 2 and my main concern is that if i switch to ubuntu I will not get satisfactory performance. I'm on the line as it is with XP. If there is any drop in performance that would deter me from switching, but if performance is either equal or better, sign me up

Beans

Re: Some perfomance benchmarks

What kind of performance? Graphics, CPU, memory? Suffice to say that my superPi runs (1M) are a full 6 seconds faster than under Windows XP, and 3D performance seems to be around 85-95% (nvidia) and 75-95% (ATI) in comparison to XP (when running crossplatform games like Nexuiz).
    Phoronix should have some old Windows vs. Linux 3D comparisons somewhere stashed away in their databases, but aside from that the general consensus is that processing performance is generally better under Linux.

Beans

Some people have also reported that applications seem to run better (performance-wise) under wine. Can't find the article now, but it is worth taking into consideration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You may want to read through everything here if you are an EQ2 player: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ersion&iId=358. I played WoW via wine about 2 years ago and it was playable on good hardware but the frame rate wasn't even close to what most people get in XP.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".