Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: amd or intel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: amd or intel?

AMD would give you about a 10-20% savings over Intel. The 10-20% you save
    could buy a faster processor. History shows AMD out-engineering Intel
    with new developments. Intel follows and capitalizes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by linux_tech View Post
    AMD would give you about a 10-20% savings over Intel. The 10-20% you save
    could buy a faster processor. History shows AMD out-engineering Intel
    with new developments. Intel follows and capitalizes.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 - $270
    AMD Phenom 9950 - $235

The Q9300 is a 45nm proc. The Q6600 is $189 which a faster proc than the Phenom. So if $$$ is a priority get the Q6600 and save some cash.

So it looks like the Intel is the better CPU. I would say spend the extra $35 on the Q9300 and get the 45nm architecture.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

Well, in general, my next build will be AMD.

This will be due to the naming convention of 64-bit compatible linux distro's.

AMD64 I mean, come on, it's just too obvious...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Intel is currently leading AMD in processor technology (though for a few years AMD was on top), and since they have lowered their prices as well, overall Intel is probably a better deal. AMD still makes good processors, they just don't have the edge that they used to since they are no longer cheaper and better performorming than the Intel ones.

As for ATI vs. NVIDIA, the latter is generally preferred in linux, but ATI support is not as bad as people make it out to be. If you have your heart set on ATI card, get it.

Beans

Looking through earlier comments, everybody is right about how AMD is the cheaper one but the Q6600 was brought up. Yes, that is Intel's low-end quad core and that is still cheaper than AMD's triple core, but it did come out like a year ago and you probably won't see something like this again. Intel made their quad cores so cheap because its not a true quad core. its just 2 dual cores working together. Would I really care? Not really, it was sort of AMD's fault for taking a dive like that, which clearly did not work out for them.

Anyways as everybody knows AMD has always been the smaller company but I'm sure where most of their money is going is ATI. Although their frequencies and streaming pipelines are rather high, their NEW competitive cards vs nvidia are doing better, especially for the price. Ever since AMD merged with ATI, I've been seeing so much more ATI support for Linux too.

Beans

AMD duel chips run much better than Intel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

NVidia 2D mode sucks, while 3D mode is another story...
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    AMD duel chips run much better than Intel
    How?????????? Please elaborate.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

yea, i'm an AMD fan and even I know thats not true. I really feel there is no difference to the processors and their competition except price (except in quad cores)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I recently learned that AMD Phenom is much better CPU than currently presented by various websites. Main problem lies within Cool & Quiet technology implementation and motherboard manufacturers and it impacts its performance and power efficiency.

About Phenom low performance:
    There are indications that software which is controlling Phenom power state is broken. This problem is more evident in Vista than in XP. When CnQ is enabled and test are conducted on a Phenom, the end result is not always consistent. This was discovered by anandtech, read article here. This unusual behavior is furthermore explained here.

About Phenom low power efficiency:
    I always do care about power dissipation and I love when computer runs cool. I was wondering why is Phenom consuming so much power in idle. So I went to some hardware forums and start asking people.

Quote from: http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...8702&forumid=1
    In idle the VRM efficiency is at 50 - 85% range at best with our measurement figures. The core power consumption in idle depends on the motherboard in question, if it implements AM2+ PSI specification support. That reduces low load operation power consumption quite well.
    ...than I googled AM2+ PSI specification support and found out that "Current AM2+ mobos don't have AMD's Power State Indicator spec enabled" hence more power consumption in idle.

Only time will tell what and who went wrong with Phenoms. Looks like they have much potential but no one is using it.
    I don't know why motherboard manufacturers choose not to implement PSI specs because Phenom would look much better in online reviews. (?)
    Last edited by BlueSkyNIS; August 16th, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added a question...
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123