Thread: alt+tab in games.

Beans

alt+tab in games.

Any hotkey app that'll allow me to use alt+tab or alt+f9 to minimize) a full screen 3d application?

I really like to be able to check icq messages for example while gaming (and full screen gaming), I've been running another X session for it sometimes, but... it'd be more practical to have a working hotkey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: alt+tab in games.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersAA
    Any hotkey app that'll allow me to use alt+tab or alt+f9 to minimize) a full screen 3d application?

I really like to be able to check icq messages for example while gaming (and full screen gaming), I've been running another X session for it sometimes, but... it'd be more practical to have a working hotkey
    As stated here:

It's possible to switch to windowed mode while running UT2k4, just press Alt-Enter to toggle back and forth between fullscreen and windowed. The only problem with this is the mouse remains grabbed by the UT2k4 window. To work around that you can add

Code:
    Option "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"
    to the ServerFlags section of your xorg.conf or XF86Config file.
    If you dont have a ServerFlags section in your conf file it should look like this

Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
            Option "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"
    EndSection
    Once X has been restarted you can use Ctrl-Alt-numpad_divide key to ungrab the mouse.

Beans

works in some games, but not all games, it'd be nice to have a hotkey to minimize full screen apps that's unable to go window mode.

I'll try alt+enter though, didn't think about that earlier, might work in some of em.

Beans

anyone know of a universal way to minimize a 3d game? or possibly run a 3d session on another virtual session? like if i am currently running on ctrl-alt-f7, is there any way to start the game on ctrl-alt-f8.

i have tried getting the game to run on f8, but it seems that the first gdm session uses the 3d part of the card and locks it. so any other games, or gdm sessions after the first one launched CAN"T use 3d. is there any way to force the first gdm NOT to use 3d, so i can start the game in its own 3d session?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: alt+tab in games.

The example above didn't work for me, but I found etswitch which does the job.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_minimize_fullscreen-Games

Home page for etswitch:
    http://hem.bredband.net/b400150/

Download latest code and do this:

Code:
    tar xvzf etswitch-0.1.14.tar.gz
    cd etswitch-0.1.14/
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo checkinstall
    sudo dpkg -i etswitch_0.1.14-1_i386.deb
    Run "etswitch -c" to configure which key to bind.

Run the program before you start the full screen app. Use key to switch back and forth from X and game.

You can also make a new startup script like this one i use for America's Army:

I made this file in /opt/armyops/armyops-startup
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    etswitch -ng -nw &
    aoss /opt/armyops/armyops
    killall etswitch
    (PS: the aoss is an alsa-oss wrapper. Not needed, but if you want it, do "sudo apt-get install alsa-oss")
    Last edited by ubernoob; January 20th, 2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added startup script
    Collecting ubuntu beans for fame and glory

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can also run the game in another X server, so then you are able to change between them fast and without problems.

sudo X :1 -ac & DISPLAY=:1 game_binary