Thread: Howto run program with OSS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Howto run program with OSS

In order for Counter-Strike 1.6 to run properly without freezing is to run it with OSS sound, but most of my programs don't need that. My question is how do I run that particular program to run OSS while the others are not.

Beans

Re: Howto run program with OSS

Do you have same problem as I have that it freezes after 1min of play and you got ATI card?

I think that OSS sound can be run by activating it only from winecfg and maybe go "System->Settings->Sound" and put OSS everywhere.
    And I prefer you to shut mp3 player or any other program that might use your sound because it works only in one program at time.

I tried to play with -nosound cs1.6 but it still did freeze but I managed to play like 3-4 min instead of 1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto run program with OSS

Quote Originally Posted by Akingboy View Post
    Do you have same problem as I have that it freezes after 1min of play and you got ATI card?

I think that OSS sound can be run by activating it only from winecfg and maybe go "System->Settings->Sound" and put OSS everywhere.
    And I prefer you to shut mp3 player or any other program that might use your sound because it works only in one program at time.

I tried to play with -nosound cs1.6 but it still did freeze but I managed to play like 3-4 min instead of 1.
    I actually fixed the freezing part for a while then it started happenning again when I took off OSS. Now it's on but it still freezes. I can play in a server with very little people and it works, but once i join a deathmatch server my computer just freezes HARD.

My 8800GTS crapped out and now im using one of my dad's PC with an ATI 2600PRO. No errors in CS1.6 but I can't run games like San andreas and Half-life 2 mods.