Quote Originally Posted by Exershio View Post
The problem is my ATI Radeon 9550 AGP video card. Remember back in 7.10, before FGLRX was supported in the FGLRX drivers? Well, my video card refuses to play nice with any drivers compatible with Ubuntu 8.04. I thought I'd be slick and download the old ATI drivers and install them manually in 8.04, but guess what? They don't work with the new Linux kernel.

With the newer ATI drivers (catalyst 7.11 and newer), my video is just plain choppy and unbearable with any OpenGL application that does 3d rendering.

So, I'm back to Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice having working 3d so I can play a few games, but I'm also doomed to run out of date software.

Though, if I look at it this way, I don't have many options:
1) Run Ubuntu 7.10. Everything works good, though the software is old.
2) Run Ubuntu 8.04. Newer software (yay), but can't play 3d games (boo)
3) Run Windows Vista. Video card drivers simply stop responding and crash anytime I play a 3d games.
4) Run Windows XP. Old stable OS, new programs, working games, but isn't exciting. I can't tweak it anymore, nothing new to really learn. It's not Linux, and I'm just plain bored with it.

Is there any other options for me? I just want new up to date software with the old ATI drivers, but it seems everything is just incompatible with each other.

I was thinking of installing Arch Linux (I love that distro), and taking on the adventurous task of compiling an older kernel, installing old ATI drivers, and then installing all new software. Could that work?

I just can't wait until ATI finally releases drivers that work for everybody. Then I won't have a problem.

Ah, who knows. If you all have any input or suggestions, please let me know. I'd appreciate it greatly.

Yes forever