Thread: Sound and video problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sound and video problems

I have no idea what to do. I have been running Ubuntu in a vm for a while. Vista was killing my laptop so I decided to completely switch to Ubuntu. I have finished the installation, and everything works fine. Except when I log on the sound just repeats itself. And videos play for about two seconds and then stop also it doesn't detect my battery settings, when I unplug my computer it says that I have 0 % remaining. Can someone please help me?

Now when I start my computer it says that my pnp bios caused a fatal error and I should reboot with the pnp bios turned off how do I do that?
    Last edited by BSG75; July 18th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sound and video problems

To defeat the pnp (plug&play) you need to enter your bios. Different bios have different ways to do that, but it's usually entered by holding down keyboard keys at boot. There's a short guide on that here. Once you are actually in the bios you will need to navigate to the pnp feature and disable it.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I looked at my bios and I couldn't find a plug and play option. I contacted HP tech support and I got the standard "I'm sorry but we do not have any support for third party Operating systems" thing. I have a Compaq F730US what do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Okay I found out that my BIOS's PnP option had to be disabled from Windows. A tech support guy said it was an OEM bios. Is there any way I can disable it in Linux? Sorry I keep asking all these questions.
    Last edited by BSG75; July 19th, 2008 at 05:31 PM.