Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Serious problem in resizing Ubuntu partition

Beans

Re: Serious problem in resizing Ubuntu partition

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Well, yell at me. I don't know why that happened, but this is doable! What you need to do is shrink sda3, then "grow" sda4. (All of your Ubuntu is within sda4) Now you know you must save each and every change, you can't wait and save several changes at once.

After shrinking sda3 you'll be able to expand sda4 (your Ubuntu) but before doing so this would be a great time to delete sda7 and give that space to sda6, then you'll end up with one larger swap and you can then allow sda5 to take over all the unallocateds space inside sda4.

Clear as mud
    I've already shrinked sda3 but when I try to grow sd4 there's no space to put in sd4, as I explained a few post's ago. I've included a printscreen too.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Well, I'm worn out!

This is not complicated. I have no idea why that GRUB thing popped up.

You need to shrink sda3 (no more than 30gb) and save that change. Then expand sda4 and save that change. Then maybe delete (sda6 and expand sda7, both swap), then go ahead and give everything that's left to Ubuntu sda5!

Just think of sda4 as a peanut shell with multiple nuts inside!

I'm just worn out!
    Just for curiosity, why do you say "You need to shrink sda3 (no more than 30gb)"?
    And to shrink sda3 and grow sda4 I should do that with an ubuntu liveCD right?

Beans

Can someone answer me please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey forget about all those things, u have put 24 miserable hours. Now do this in simple and realisitc way

1. UR Vista partitions is too large, which can accomodate the data (necessary) partition in it. I meant transfer all those data to a folder inside the vista part. Now delete the data partition.

2. Do u have t take anything from Ubuntu? take backup, if u are installed so many apps and it is a pain to down load it again, Browse and d/l APTonCD. Which will create a ISO for the all installation done after the Ubuntu installation.After successful Ubuntu installation re apply the image, ur Uptodate.

3. Delete all the partitions. Now u have vista, and a lot of raw space available, if u want more resize the Vista partition, but defragment the partition before resizing it.

4. Use Gparted or whatever u want, allot a minimum 10 GB for root(\), 15 GB for home and 3-4 GB for swap when installing Ubuntu. If u have so much data making another partition is also good, inside Ubuntu.

In the final look
    1. Vista (90 GB or more)
    2. Data (u created it again and re transfereed the data back)
    3. Ubuntu root
    4. Home
    5. Swap
    6. ur choice

It will take hardly one hour ( data transfer is depend upon ur machine)

Hope this will solve ur pained call
    Last edited by phoenix_abhi; July 19th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

MARK YOUR THREAD SOLVED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_abhi View Post
    Hey forget about all those things, u have put 24 miserable hours. Now do this in simple and realisitc way

1. UR Vista partitions is too large, which can accomodate the data (necessary) partition in it. I meant transfer all those data to a folder inside the vista part. Now delete the data partition.

2. Do u have t take anything from Ubuntu? take backup, if u are installed so many apps and it is a pain to down load it again, Browse and d/l APTonCD. Which will create a ISO for the all installation done after the Ubuntu installation.After successful Ubuntu installation re apply the image, ur Uptodate.

3. Delete all the partitions. Now u have vista, and a lot of raw space available, if u want more resize the Vista partition, but defragment the partition before resizing it.

4. Use Gparted or whatever u want, allot a minimum 10 GB for root(\), 15 GB for home and 3-4 GB for swap when installing Ubuntu. If u have so much data making another partition is also good, inside Ubuntu.

In the final look
    1. Vista (90 GB or more)
    2. Data (u created it again and re transfereed the data back)
    3. Ubuntu root
    4. Home
    5. Swap
    6. ur choice

It will take hardly one hour ( data transfer is depend upon ur machine)

Hope this will solve ur pained call
    Sorry to say this, but I think that it gives me a lot of work. And I need two partition for vista, a Data one and another where are the OS files.
    What I'm going in a few days is format my computer, and create a third partition (30gb) instead of leaving raw/free space in the disk.

And thanks for the program "APTonCD"! I'm going to use it.
    Last edited by brunolopes446; July 19th, 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu install guide states the the minimum requirements for an install of Ubuntu 8.04 is at least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space).

You say that you partition is 15 GB. This should be more than enough space of Ubuntu. I am not sure why you need more space?

I would format an extra partition for data and mount it to your Ubuntu image.

Beans

I'm sorry to have dropped this hard, but just to recap:

Post #8:

You said: "They don't appear on my desktop. And I don't know why I can't even open Vista and Data partitions now... (in ubuntu liveCD). Have I damaged anything on the partitions? I can post a printscreen if you want... But I can open the "partition" where ubuntu is installed...
    Isn't that strange?
    Oh my god, now I have two problems! Or is this normal?"

That's a major problem!

Post #23:

I said: "So you want to begin by resizing (shrinking) sda3. Easy does it! sda3 is nearly half used and it's 119.76 now, that means about 60gb is used. I'd personally reduce it to no less than 90gb which will free up nearly 30 gb. Quite simply the more you reduce the size of sda3 the more likely you are to result in data loss!"

But still in post #51:

You ask: "Just for curiosity, why do you say "You need to shrink sda3 (no more than 30gb)"?"

When you experienced the GRUB problem (which is unusual) I got you through it, but you argued the whole way! When I asked you to wait you (undid) the "shrinking" of sda3, and I never saw evidence of free (unallocated) space between sda3 and sda4! All of your Ubuntu is within sda4!

With some older versions of Gparted you could only move left to right, or vice-versa in some situations but I used both the Hardy version and 0.3.7-7 GParted yesterday and you can do this!

Had you been resizing a Vista OS partition I would have had you start with this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2262528_exte...paign=yssp_art

But since it was a data partition you should have been OK with Gparted. (Remember the 150% rule!)

Maybe study: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

But I got especially frustrated when you just wouldn't listen to me!

I'll bet you never did try running a simple:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    to try and clean up Ubuntu!

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    would even go a step further (dumping old .deb files) but you reject every reasonable offer to solve this problem.

End rant!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456