Thread: Cabling question

Beans

Cabling question

Hey all,

Quick question really,

A friend has asked me to network his office, putting cable into the trunking on the walls, and putting them into wall boxes. no biggie so far, one thing i cant trust myself to think i am correct about though and thought i would post up and ask you kind and generous people is this,

If i have a network cable from a pc, that connects to a wall socket, comes out of the wall at another point, then another cable comes out of that socket into a hub/switch do the cables need to be crossover or straight throughs, i just cant seem to think straight on this one. I seem to think that the hub/switch will deal with straight throughs all the way along. but cant remember exactley its been a while since i did any cabling.

cheers
    Hey all, a big thanks for all your help in the past, I am starting to get there now its been an adventure and i thank you for that.

Beans

Re: Cabling question

Straight-through will do the trick. The only time you need crossover is when you are connecting two NICs together. HTH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Whippy View Post
    that connects to a wall socket, comes out of the wall at another point, then another cable comes out of that socket into a hub/switch
    Straight throughs; also called patch cables.

Besides which, most NICs and routers nowadays automatically adapt irrelevant of the cable type.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Thanks guys,

thought that was how it was just wanted to confirm.
    Hey all, a big thanks for all your help in the past, I am starting to get there now its been an adventure and i thank you for that.