Thread: Not all multimedia keys are working on my keyboard

Beans

Not all multimedia keys are working on my keyboard

My keyboard is A4Tech KBS-26

The only buttons that aren't working are almost all on the left side - cut, copy, paste, undo, toggle, close and the scroll. Also in the upper left corner - New, Word and Excell. Everything else is working. I tried to "detect" the non-working buttons with xev but there is no reaction at all, the other buttons are giving signals. How can i fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Not all multimedia keys are working on my keyboard

Keyboards like this with multimedia keys are often only written with Windows in mind, as you can see by the "Word" and "Excel" keys. Unfortunately you're not likely to get an equivalent functionality from the keyboard in Linux.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    Keyboards like this with multimedia keys are often only written with Windows in mind, as you can see by the "Word" and "Excel" keys. Unfortunately you're not likely to get an equivalent functionality from the keyboard in Linux.
    That's true but it would be nice to start OpenOffice with the "Word" key for example. I am not searching for equivalent functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshark View Post
    That's true but it would be nice to start OpenOffice with the "Word" key for example. I am not searching for equivalent functionality.
    The problem is that Linux might not be able to "see" the Word key. The keyboard probably came with a special driver that let Windows know where all the keys were and what to do with them. This driver won't work in Linux.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

yes, if xev doesn't detect the signal from the keys, then AFAIK theres no hope

Beans

You can use keytouch and keytouch editor to configure all of your media keys:
    http://maketecheasier.com/keytouch-r...ard/2008/07/16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Having similar but not identical problem. I have two wireless keyboards on my work and home machines - a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia keyboard. I don't actually use or need all the extra multimedia keys - I bought the keyboard with them because they were selling it cheap. The problem is that fairly fundamental basic functionality like Ctrl+Alt+F1 / F2 / F3 etc... for getting to a virtual terminal works Ok on the wireless keyboard but does not work at all on the wireless multimedia keyboard.
    Is there any known way to resolve this? The keyboard is Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard v1.1 and I am running Ubuntu 8.04
    Thanks!
    James
    Last edited by jrdecastro; October 27th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarify version of keyboard