Thread: Sony Memory Stick on 8.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Sony Memory Stick on 8.04

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running ubuntu 8.04 and it does not seem to recognize my memory stick slot. It's an older laptop but I figured the new ubuntu would recognize it. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sony Memory Stick on 8.04

Theres no linux support for MStick yet. they have to code the drivers for them.

Does the reader apear in the output of lspci ?
    Post it here if you are not sure and will look at it.
    Good luck.
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Beans

No, the slot does not show on lspci. According to Windows the controller is Winbond and the only items that appear on lspci is the ATI graphics, USB controller and ethernet controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This issue came up a while ago, and I'm afraid sergiom99's answer is correct - there is no support for Sony Memory Stick with internal card readers.

However, an external USB card reader will work perfectly with Sony MS!

Strange but true.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.