Thread: Problem Installing KDE 4.1 RC

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problem Installing KDE 4.1 RC

when i try to install the kubuntu-desktop-kde4 package i get this error when using apt-get:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-window-manager_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa2_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde4/share/doc/kde4/HTML/en/kcontrol/kwindecoration/index.docbook', which is also in package kdebase-runtime-data
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-window-manager_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa2_amd64.deb

and this error when using synaptic:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-window-manager_4%3a4.0.98-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa2_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde4/share/doc/kde4/HTML/en/kcontrol/kwindecoration/index.docbook', which is also in package kdebase-runtime-data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problem Installing KDE 4.1 RC

I was wondering if you ever got your problem fixed. I was having a similar problem and I ended up having to manually remove, install and reinstall various packages to get things working again.

A word of advice: if you start messing around like that be sure you have another desktop environment installed in case you need to log in with it. I keep xfce installed for that very reason.
    When you've found an adequate answer to your post, click on "thread tools" and mark the thread as solved.
    If you find an answer on your own or elsewhere, share it here and mark the thread as solved.

Beans
    Distro

i have kde 3.5.9 installed as my default WM i think i might just remove the RC and wait until the final comes out its only going to be about 6 days right?? if i ever screw anything up really bad im relatively adept at using the console so i could either fix it using aptitude or a live cd, if all else fails copy the files you changed, save stuff and reinstall it

Beans

hey,
    i've just tried to install the final KDE 4.1 and had the same problem. but i found the solution:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdebase-runtime-data.list
    or if you're using xfce:
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdebase-runtime-data.list
    and delete all lines begining with /usr/lib/kde4/share/doc
    save and close. after that

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

taken from here:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-T...04-91034.shtml

i hope it helps someone.

Beans
    Distro

thanks but i think im still going to stay away from kde 4.1 for awhile its still not as easy to use as kde 3.5.x is.