Thread: Linux compatibility with this system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Linux compatibility with this system?

After having an untold number of woes with all variants of linux because of various hardware incompatibilities and general instability, I have finally decided it's time for some new kit.
    I have spent the day choosing components for a pc that should hopefully last me 5 years (with only the occasional minor upgrade).

What I am most concerned about is if it will work out of the box, or with as little tinkering as possible with Linux (Ubuntu preferably, or PCLOS).

AMD Athlon64X2 6000+
    Asus M2A-MX Mobo
    2GB Patriot Extreme RAM
    160GB Maxtor DiamondMax
    ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB
    NEC Optiarc DVDRW
    Edimax 54MBPS PCI Wireless Adaptor (Ralink I think)
    Firewire PCI Card

Does this seem out of the box compatible?

And on another note, would 1 case fan and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro be enough to cool this thing?

Thanks in advance!

-Ash
    IBM Thinkpad R31 Celeron M 1.13Ghz 512MB RAM Ubuntu 8.04
    Fujitsu Lifebook 900MHZ PIII, 512MB RAM PCLOS2007
    Apple G4 Quicksilver 384MB Ram OS9.2
    IBM Thinkpad 380Z DSL 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Linux compatibility with this system?

*bump*
    IBM Thinkpad 380Z DSL 3

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

ditch the ati video card and goe with a nvidia card the nvidia cards are more linux friendly
    linux lubuntu machine dell dimension 4300s 1.6 p4 with 1gb of ram runnint peppermint3 compaq 2.5 p4 1gb of ram running peppermint3 dell optiplex 620 2.8 pentium d 2.5 gb of ram running linux mint 13 maya cinnamon desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was thinking of that, but that pushes the cost of the machine up. And I dont have much money to work with.

Is it really such a major problem?
    IBM Thinkpad 380Z DSL 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was almost going to ditch Ubuntu because of the lack of support/knowledge of getting my Gcard to work....

I would say that your graphics card is going to be the thing least likely to work out side the box.(not yours in particular but in general most of the other stuff is minor tinkering)

Good Luck

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

well any thing less than a 8800 should work my 8400 works fine with ubunut and i dont even us envy with it envy does work but i dont need it so i just uninstalled it again
    linux lubuntu machine dell dimension 4300s 1.6 p4 with 1gb of ram runnint peppermint3 compaq 2.5 p4 1gb of ram running peppermint3 dell optiplex 620 2.8 pentium d 2.5 gb of ram running linux mint 13 maya cinnamon desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ljonesj View Post
    well any thing less than a 8800 should work my 8400 works fine with ubunut and i dont even us envy with it envy does work but i dont need it so i just uninstalled it again
    As far is I know eny is "just"( and I that word very very broadly because it does a very good job at helping people out) an automated installer for the correct drivers/settings for your computer.

Envy is written in python and i am quite sure that you can not write drivers in python yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i am not a programer so i would not know how to make anything but envy is a great tool and program yes but i had issues with the new graphics card when i used it with dvd playback so i just uninstalled it and let the defualt drivers from ubuntu take over and my problem was solved. now if i used my old geforce 5500 it needed envy to work as the default ubuntu ones caused the same problem with dvd i suppose its the chip thats the problem there