Thread: set up Ubuntu LDAP client to authenticate against OS X ldap server

Beans

set up Ubuntu LDAP client to authenticate against OS X ldap server

Hello all,

I am trying to configure the ldap client on one of my Ubuntu(8.04.1) Machines to authenticate against an LDAP database hosted on an OS X(10.4.11) server.

I installed the following packages per these instructions: libpam-ldap libnss-ldap nss-updatedb libnss-db

then I proceeded to manually edit parts of the config files where applicable (eg. 'host' in /etc/ldap.conf)

after I finished configuring things, I ran "getent passwd" to see if the configuration worked. The LDAP users failed to show up, so something is clearly amiss.

So, next I try to modify the configuration files per these instructions.

running "getent passwd" under this new configuration returns the users in the ldap database. "su" to one of those users also works. However, if I try to ssh into that machine using an ldap user, it does not work. Perhaps this is the "authenticating (partially) successfully" that the walkthrough was referring to?

In any case, I decided to try a third configuration using mostly the same parameters I had on a SUSE 11 box, (since I am able to ssh onto that one successfully using ldap users.) This config didn't fix the problem on ubuntu.

The last (and current standing) config I tried on this Ubuntu box was obtained using the command "auth-client-config" (which I just recently found out about). This command made it quicker and easier to configure, but it changed little and yielded the same result (no ssh login)

Just as a note, in between trying out these different configs, as a precautionary step, I uninstalled and reinstalled the ldap packages, being sure to purge the config files so that I started with a clean setup each time.

If anyone can help me figure out what is going wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it. If there is any additional specific information I can provide to help you help me, let me know and I will include it.

P.S. I am fairly new to linux sys admin-ing, so please forgive my noobishness if it shows

Beans

Re: set up Ubuntu LDAP client to authenticate against OS X ldap server

Does anyone know about the issue I'm facing or have any tips on how to solve it?