Page 484 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486494534584984 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 10053

Thread: You know you're a geek when........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: You know you're a geek when........

Quote Originally Posted by hatten View Post
    didn't know what to search for. thanks. off to learning to write in binary!
    Oh please don't. This thread has had WAY too much binary, it gets really annoying now.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    Oh please don't. This thread has had WAY too much binary, it gets really annoying now.
    Well, we could start writing in base26 for a change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pp. View Post
    Well, we could start writing in base26 for a change.

Ykyagw you have a hard time deciding which method you want to use for making a distro.
    Registered Linux user #481459

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: You know you're a geek when........

You know you're a geek when.....the significant others asks you to "wait just a little bit" and you are confused - there's something smaller than a bit?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    there's something smaller than a bit?
    What? Madness!
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

<thinkingtoself>I'm still having a hard time deciding how to go about making a distro. I don't really want to just make a customized installation of an existing distro (such as Ubuntu), because it seems a bit messy. What I want to do is install every package I need from scratch. But how would I do it? I think that I'll build LFS up to the point where we chroot, adding the building of dpkg. Then I'll download all the .deb packages I need and install them from within the chroot. Hmm... Would that work?</thinkingtoself>
    Hey, could I build an LFS system up to the point where you chroot, then compile dpkg and install all of the packages I need to build a distro?

Ykyagw you use XML tags to think to yourself on forums.

EDIT: No, it's going to be different than that... Let me rephrase the question: can you use dpkg to install a package onto another partition?

EDIT2: Looks like I answered my own question. Just use dpkg -i -root=/media/disk packagename.deb to install under a different root. I'm guessing that's how Ubuquity works?
    Last edited by Kopachris; December 21st, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kopachris View Post
    EDIT2: Looks like I answered my own question. Just use dpkg -i -root=/media/disk packagename.deb to install under a different root. I'm guessing that's how Ubuquity works?
    I think ubiquity sets up the initial file system, the uses that method to install dpkg and apt, after that it uses chroot and let's apt do all the hard work.

I could be wrong though, it just makes more sense.
    Licat volaré si superturgum Aquila volat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    I think ubiquity sets up the initial file system, the uses that method to install dpkg and apt, after that it uses chroot and let's apt do all the hard work.

I could be wrong though, it just makes more sense.
    Okay, so I guess I'll set up the initial filesystem hierarchy manually (or as manually as the terminal gets, anyway), I'll cp /bin and /sbin, follow LFS's instructions for /dev, then use "dpkg --root=" to install dpkg, then I'll chroot and use dpkg from there to install everything else in one go (dpkg -i *.deb) and I'll see if I can compile a custom kernel (last time I did it, it wouldn't boot either kernel).

I guess I'll be doing a lot of sorting today. There are a lot of packages I don't want, and a lot that I want to replace (such as evolution-server). I'd like to replace as many "ubuntu" packages with as many generic packages as possible. I might keep the Ubuntu Firefox, though. Installing add-ons through Add/Remove Programs is really nice. There's also quite a few programs that I like to have, but I don't want to include in DOS. XBMC is one, and Rosegarden is another. Although, if Amarok requires the KDE libs that Rosegarden requires, I might keep Rosegarden. I also don't want to include VirtualBox. Too big. People can install that one themselves.

Beans

You know you're a geek when you get mad at your computer because it works when it shouldn't, in your opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You know you're a geek when you were little, you wanted to Marry Dexter from Dexter's lab. Reasons: He's a genuis, He's got a cool lab, his accent is hot.

...And then, even to this day, He's you're dream man, and you wish you could have a total nerdo like him as a boyfriend. Especially in his rededigned state:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/...a84a1b.jpg?v=0

Wow. Even I'M embarassed for myself. I've been watching a little too much Cartoon Network lately. XD
    First Food I ever ate with Ubuntu:
    Cut up Hot-dogs.

With Ubuntu, every day is a sexy day.

Page 484 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486494534584984 ... LastLast