Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: massive help needed - GDM issue ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: massive help needed - GDM issue ?

How do you know your problem is permissions?

What happens if you just exit the busybox shell? (E.g. type "exit" and press Enter.) There can be many reasons other than permissions for you ending up at the busybox initramfs shell...
    "Python, the language that wraps itself around a problem to squeeze out a solution, swallowing it whole."
    Linux user number #14284
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

my problem wasnt permissions!!!
    got some help from the irc and now have recovered the system but my programs are all messed up!do u know of anyway to recover the file permissions for all programs back to normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by macvr View Post
    my problem wasnt permissions!!!
    got some help from the irc and now have recovered the system but my programs are all messed up!do u know of anyway to recover the file permissions for all programs back to normal?
    What do you mean by "messed up"? What problems, exactly, are you having? Have you already updated the permissions on all files as per my suggestion or not? Are you getting any error messages? If so what?

As an aside: Are you running Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)? I might try to come up with a script to restore the permissions on standard files (rather than blanket changing all of them), if that turns out that it will help...
    "Python, the language that wraps itself around a problem to squeeze out a solution, swallowing it whole."
    Linux user number #14284
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ByteJuggler View Post
    What do you mean by "messed up"? What problems, exactly, are you having? Have you already updated the permissions on all files as per my suggestion or not? Are you getting any error messages? If so what?

As an aside: Are you running Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)? I might try to come up with a script to restore the permissions on standard files (rather than blanket changing all of them), if that turns out that it will help...
    i have done this to reset the permissions
    Code:
    while read -d : dir; do sudo chmod +x "$dir"/*; done <<< "$PATH"
    the above command was given in the irc...
    seems to have corrected the 'permissions denied'/'child process' errors for some programs but still lot of programs seem to give permission errors...

was actually adviced to reinstall the package when i get error.... what if i selected ALL packages in synaptic and reinstalled them?
    or if u have a better reset command?[i'm not able to find ur suggestions?]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123