Thread: Su account expired

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Su account expired

I really need to login to root for one quick second to make two really quick commands but I get this:

c@D:~$ sudo passwd root
    [sudo] password for chakravanti:
    Enter new UNIX password:
    Retype new UNIX password:
    passwd: password updated successfully
    c@D:~$ su
    Password:
    Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator
    su: User account has expired
    c@D:~$ sudo su
    Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator
    su: User account has expired
    (Ignored)
    root@D:/home/c#

SO i guess I can log in with sudo su but wtf is this account expired stuff? I've never run into this on ubuntu before. I just upgraded to hardy from feisty.
    Desktop: PhenomIIX3@2.8Ghz CM HyperN520 ASROCK MS3770DE 2x2Gb Crucial @ 1333/6CL 3540HD PCIE 2x2TB HITACHI Lucid 64
    Latop: Acer 5253-BZ602 E-350 1.6Ghz Dual Core Fusion APU Intel 320 40Gb SSD 2x2GB Gskill 1066/6CL 11.04 64 bit dm-crypt LVM

Beans

Re: Su account expired

Hi there, you don't need to (and in fact, shouldn't) enter a root password, ever! Just preface whatever command needs superuser rights with 'sudo'.

Hope that helps.

Read Root/Sudo.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Also the original poster said "I just want to be root for a minute to execute a couple of quick commands," and that is pretty much the definition of what 'sudo' does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

snowpine, there are times when being root is the best/only choice. Such as using the Cups web interface.
    heath holcomb
    liquidcable.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by liquidcable View Post
    snowpine, there are times when being root is the best/only choice. Such as using the Cups web interface.
    I can run the cups web interface just fine without being root. Not required.

EDIT- sorry for the hijack.
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Trying running the the cups web interface from a remote machine (not the machine with cups installed).
    heath holcomb
    liquidcable.org

Beans

To answer your question without condescending lectures on what you should and shouldn't do, once you've created a password for root then locked it (passwd -l root) you simply need to unlock it (passwd -u root). Be sure to put root back on lockdown when you're done.

For the peanut gallery, there ARE times when you need root. I found this thread because some tunneling software I'm trying to install from my office needs root to install the network connector and I was getting the same 'expired' message.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RgnKjnVA View Post
    To answer your question without condescending lectures on what you should and shouldn't do, once you've created a password for root then locked it (passwd -l root) you simply need to unlock it (passwd -u root). Be sure to put root back on lockdown when you're done.

For the peanut gallery, there ARE times when you need root. I found this thread because some tunneling software I'm trying to install from my office needs root to install the network connector and I was getting the same 'expired' message.
    The cause of this is that the effect of running password -l has recently changed, from Hardy onwards.

From man passwd:

Code:
    -l, --lock
               Lock the named account. This option disables an account by changing
               the password to a value which matches no possible encrypted value,
               and by setting the account expiry field to 1.
    Why is this an issue? Because due to "and by setting the account expiry field to 1" (a recent change), cron jobs owned by root (almost all system wide cron jobs are owned by root) can no longer run and return an error "account root has expired".

This will of course in all probability affect other processes on a system whose administrator has enabled root then subsequently disabled it using sudo passwd -l root also.

It may, I suspect, be responsible for a number of the issues which are apparently affecting Hardy and Intrepid users, some of whom are reporting odd issues and problems with their machines which appear otherwise unrepeatable and inexplicable.

Of course, usage of password -l is documented (at present incorrectly in respect of Ubuntu versions from Hardy onwards) in this often referred to Ubuntu document:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

The password -l behaviour change is a known bug though, which apparently originated upstream in Debian:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ha...ow/+bug/238755

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thank you, yes this is (one) of the reasons we do not support setting a root password.

The other is that if you need to boot to recovery mode, you will then be asked for a root password. Although some may see that as a "security feature" I would point out. like a BIOS or grub password, it is easily defeated.

I agree there are (rare) times when it is necessary, in particularly the web administration applications.

In general please use :

Code:
    sudo -i
    to get a root shell.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface