Thread: Looking for LAME Front-End

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Looking for LAME Front-End

Okay, now, before everyone gets annoyed and sends me to the stickies (which I've already checked), I've got a more specific question than what I've seen answered so far.

I'm looking for a LAME Front-end (frontend? What is the punctuation/capitalization for that, anyway?) that provides me with virtually all LAME options in the GUI. I've messed with Banshee, Rhythmbox, SoundConverter, etc., but I don't see nearly as many options as I used to get in Windows using DBPowerAmp. I'm assuming that there's a Linux program that offers just as much customization, but I'd prefer to avoid the command line for this kind of operation if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Qel-Droma; July 17th, 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Typo.
    It is tragically wrong to believe that the advancement of humanity must occur at the pace of its slowest members. - Zefram Cochrane, Federation (by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Looking for LAME Front-End

Hi!

SoundKonverter is a very nice app. It can use LAME and many others rippers.

I recomend you. It is in Official Ubuntu Repositories.

Bye!
    SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH!!! I DO ALL THAT I CAN!!!

Beans

The big papa of all sound players/converters is foobar2000. It works nicely with wine. I have been looking for a native linux app that comes close to it for years now - there isn't any.

Beans
    Distro

I installed SoundKonverter, but although it says FLAC, LAME (301???) and other "plugins" are installed, the only options I have are .wav and .mp3. What's up with that?
    It is tragically wrong to believe that the advancement of humanity must occur at the pace of its slowest members. - Zefram Cochrane, Federation (by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens)

Beans
    Distro

Does foobar2000 use LAME as its MP3 encoder?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Qel-Droma View Post
    Does foobar2000 use LAME as its MP3 encoder?
    You can choose what you want including lame. There are guides for installing foobar2000 with wine. Google them.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Looking for LAME Front-End

Thanks for the suggestion. I also found out that dBPowerAmp Converter works fine with WINE. The problem with both dB and foobar is that they aren't Linux native, and I do try to use native apps if I can.

Standard SoundConverter (not Konverter) just doesn't have enough MP3 options for my taste.

Thanks again for the help. More suggestions are welcome.