Thread: Why download and compile madwifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Why download and compile madwifi

Recently I got the wireless on my laptop working by downloading and compiling a wireless driver from madwifi (see link).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=861683

Why is this necessary? Why is the binary equivalent of what I compiled and created not in the ubuntu repositories somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why download and compile madwifi

Madwifi is included with Ubuntu. Most likely, the one you compiled is a newer version.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Why download and compile madwifi

I see a package called madwifi-tools within the universe repository. Does this package contain the drivers for the various wireless cards, or is this a collection of tools to work with wifi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Why download and compile madwifi

The description of the madwifi-tools package is:

This package provides userspace tools for the madwifi driver. The tools are required to use and manipulate the madwifi interfaces present in a system.

I do not think this is the drivers, it sounds like tools to work with madwifi drivers.

I am still wondering why the drivers themselves are not available through the repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

They are, and they are even installed by default. Please don't make such strong statements when you have no clue, thanks.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?se...hardy&arch=any
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am sorry you interpreted my statements as strong, I am not sure what you meant by strong, but assume that it is not good. It is certainly not my intention to offend or be aggressive. I am simply trying to understand ubuntu.

I see the madwifi driver in the link you provided. When I was searching for madwifi packages the only hit I got was madwifi-tools, the reason for that appears to be the way I searched the repositories. I searched for package name only not description. When I search using description I found the packages you are referring too.

So I guess the answer to my orignal question is that the wireless card I have required a newer driver than what was available in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pgte3 View Post
    So I guess the answer to my orignal question is that the wireless card I have required a newer driver than what was available in the repositories.
    Exactly.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」