Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation

Beans

installation

hi, i already install ubuntu to 2 pc which is desktop i386 and laptop amd64.for desktop i installed from windows xp and for laptop i install to free space hard disk. after install i found that for desktop it cant detect windows partition automatically rather than laptop which is already have a shortcut in Places panel. is this effect from how i install the distro?

Beans

Re: installation

Well if you made a mistake during the installation on your desktop (i think it was) and overwrote everything instead of installing beside windows then your not going to see a windows partition anymore because there isnt one. I haven't heard of the installer not detecting other bootable partitions before.
    Ubuntu User #: 0x2695 | Banshee 1.8/2.0 Pidgin Plugin

Intel Q6600 @3.21, 4GB, GTX260, ArchLinux
    Lenovo IdeaPad S10, 1.6GHz Intel Atom, ArchLinux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ilplinux_tester View Post
    hi, i already install ubuntu to 2 pc which is desktop i386 and laptop amd64.for desktop i installed from windows xp and for laptop i install to free space hard disk. after install i found that for desktop it cant detect windows partition automatically rather than laptop which is already have a shortcut in Places panel. is this effect from how i install the distro?
    on the desktop, can you still boot into windows?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans

everything ok about booting windows and ubuntu. i just wonder why in desktop i not find windows partition shortcut in "Places" panel like in laptop

Beans

OK, you said:
    for desktop i installed from windows xp and for laptop i install to free space hard disk. after install i found that for desktop it cant detect windows partition automatically rather than laptop which is already have a shortcut in Places panel. is this effect from how i install the distro?
    Now, "for desktop i installed from windows xp" sort of sounds like that may have been a Wubi install like this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Whereas, "for laptop i install to free space hard disk", which sounds like a typical dual boot setup something like this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

That's the first thing we need to clear up.

BTW, I gave Wubi a test drive but know very little about it if that's what we're dealing with.

Beans

for desktop i mounted the partition manually, but in laptop already have a shortcut in "Places" panel

Beans

So when you restart (or start) either computer you get the GRUB screen where you can choose which operating system to boot?

And if so, in both computers, you can successfully boot both Windows and Ubuntu, eh?

Bear with me, I'm dense

Moved to Wubi Forum.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Moved to Wubi Forum.
    Are you certain this is a Wubi install

Beans

Now, "for desktop i installed from windows xp" sort of sounds like that may have been a Wubi install like this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Whereas, "for laptop i install to free space hard disk", which sounds like a typical dual boot setup something like this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
    yes that's the way i installed it

So when you restart (or start) either computer you get the GRUB screen where you can choose which operating system to boot?

And if so, in both computers, you can successfully boot both Windows and Ubuntu, eh?
    yes just like you said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast