Thread: memory and video upgrade advice

Beans

memory and video upgrade advice

Hi I am running a 2.6Ghz Celeron with 512 DDR SRAM, and a built in video card.

I mainly want to use the computer for internet, some music and video and processing Photos (with GIMP and UFRaw)

I notice the system is a bit slow and I think and upgrade to memory and the card could help... However I am not so savvy on all things computers (especially Linux) and want some advise on what to upgrade to. I thought a Gig of RAM should be enough (??) but am unsure on what type of graphics card to go for. I plan to pick up an used one off ebay on the cheap - but there seem to be a lot out there. I don't know much on these cards and want one that would be good for my uses (not so much game play) Any advise on good ones or ones to steer clear off - especially if they have known problems with Ubuntu (I seem to see Radeon a lot in the forums)?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: memory and video upgrade advice

I need your computer brand and number
    and I can find out what video card your computer can take for you got to
    newegg.com has some good staf
    ps sorry for my spalling
    Ubuntu ibex AMD turion 64 x2 TL-58 160gb harddrive
    ati RS690M x1250
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
    2gb ram oops I am showing off again

Beans

i think it is a home build or at least a repair. No names or numbers on the case. How can I find out? from the system (if so please give instructions) or pull off case and read it somewhere (where to look??)

Thanks - spelling OK. Newegg - hmm ok \, but as it is an old computer I can pick up used cards for like $10-$20 on ebay. I figure my needs are pretty low so one of these cards should do fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

there will be a number on the motherboard. it mite be near the CPU.
    Ubuntu ibex AMD turion 64 x2 TL-58 160gb harddrive
    ati RS690M x1250
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
    2gb ram oops I am showing off again

Beans

The motherboard is MS-6577 REV 3.1

Beans

Hello!
    In your case - motherboard with AGP X4, and ddr. I'd like to suggest to save little money and upgrade to new mobo, cpu, ram, and vga. Your motherboard is with very old technology video card slot - AGP X4. There isn't many used cards out that would fit in your mobo; FX5200,FX5500, 9800 and some others, but now with so low AMD CPU prices you could get much bigger benefit, with motherboard that supports PCI-E and AM2+. Because now you want to invest to practically "extinct" platform. After year maybe you won't be able to but AGP X4 card at all. But it's just suggestion.

Video cards what will fit in you mother board:
    All GeFource FX series
    ATi I wouldn't suggest for AGP platform.

All the best to you!
    Ubuntu here, ubuntu there, ubuntu everywhere! Hope so