Thread: Lexmark Impact S305 won't print on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lexmark Impact S305 won't print on Ubuntu

I hate printers a lot. For whatever reason, I have the worst luck with them.

I bought this printer about a year ago. It worked fine on Windows for a while, but despite saying compatible with Linux, I could ever get it to work on Linux at all. Wifi printing is a bust.

After setting up the wifi on the printer via Windows, I downloaded the three driver files from the Lexmark website, one for the scanner, one for the printer, and one for the PPD, titled Lexmark Injet Legacy. Since I am on Ubuntu 12.10, I had to get the files for 12.04. I installed the drivers, and the only difference is I can see the printer via the Printing set up under settings. I try to print, and I received a status of "Stopped - Printer Warning" The only other information in this window is "Printer 'Lexmark S300-400 Series': 'cups-insecure-filter.'" Under "Printing" the printer logo has a green check in the top left corner of the image and a red exclamation point in the bottom right of the same logo.

Per one set of instructions, I ran

Code:
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    This had helped a lot of people with this error, but mine persisted. A variation of this I tried was

Code:
    sudo chown -hRv root /usr/lib
    sudo chgrp -hRv root /usr/lib
    I am still having the same printer lockup. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: I plugged the printer into my laptop, and the printer shows up under Printing, but it has the red exclamation point. The errors are the same.
    Last edited by Ericj1186; October 25th, 2012 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lexmark Impact S305 won't print on Ubuntu

Same problem here with S305, going nuts...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What have you tried?

I have never had any success with this printer either wifi or plugged, so I'd love to hear if I have done everything.

Beans

I thought this was just me, after I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 from 12.04, my Lexmark Impact S305 refuses to print. I re-installed the drivers from Lexmark.com to no avail. My guess is we have to wait unti Lexmark releases drivers for 12.10.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans
    Hidden!

Trying to get a printer to work with linux can be a frustration, mainly due to lack
    of linux compatible drivers or problems getting them installed.
    I don't have a lexmark myself but did a thread search using lexmark printer
    and found quite a few threads there. You may want to check it out.
    Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I'm running into the same problem. I have a Lexmark Impact S305. It worked flawlessly on previous versions of Ubuntu. I also had it working with Linus Mint, until I tried setting it up on Linux Mint with KVM. I'm not sure if it is Lexmark's newest driver, or Ubuntu 12.10. I hadn't been having problems like this prior to upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10, but the driver I downloaded before was older and the utility used to show ink levels. So something changed with Lexmark, or the Ubuntu internal printer setup has changed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by massasauga View Post
    I'm running into the same problem. I have a Lexmark Impact S305. It worked flawlessly on previous versions of Ubuntu. I also had it working with Linus Mint, until I tried setting it up on Linux Mint with KVM. I'm not sure if it is Lexmark's newest driver, or Ubuntu 12.10. I hadn't been having problems like this prior to upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10, but the driver I downloaded before was older and the utility used to show ink levels. So something changed with Lexmark, or the Ubuntu internal printer setup has changed.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082570

See the bottom of this thread. Remove the printer and re-install.

Worked for me.