Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Failure to shut down properly

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy [SOLVED] Failure to shut down properly

I have a Pentium II 400MHz with 254MB RAM (two 128MB DDR1 133MHz sticks). I’ve worked on Windows for a long time and only recently started experimenting with Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and made bootable CD. This went well and I loaded the Live CD (no system alteration... I want to wait a while before installing). The system loaded a bi slowly but it ran smoothly. I opened Open Office writer and then when I went to close it, the operation stop responding. Despite this Ubuntu (8.04) force shut it and the system kept running (I was surprised but pleased).
    Now my problem comes when I shut down Ubuntu (8.04). The system closes and the Disc pops out. On the screen I see a message telling me to remove the disc and close the CD tray (if any) and then press ENTER. I did this and waited about ten minutes without anything happening. Finally I shut down the computer manually. I rebooted this time without the CD to make sure that nothing happened. Windows booted up and ran as before but the question still lingers: why didn’t Ubuntu (8.04) shut down properly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Failure to shut down properly

Try download the alternate cd. and install Xubunt(For lower end systems).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you type the following into a terminal and copy and paste the output of the first 25 lines of the file here please.

gedit /etc/init.d/halt
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro

Fatality UK, I would gladly type “gedit /etc/init.d/halt” into a terminal but I am not sure I want to but up Ubuntu again, especially since I have no clue what happened in the first place. I want to also add another 128MB RAM stick which would give me the 384 MB RAM that Ubuntu recommends.
    On another note, what is gedit /etc/init.d/halt suppose to display and how do I access the terminal in Ubuntu (I am an absolute beginner when it comes to Linux)
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to ask this here but where do you get your avatar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Confused Computer User View Post
    Fatality UK, I would gladly type “gedit /etc/init.d/halt” into a terminal but I am not sure I want to but up Ubuntu again, especially since I have no clue what happened in the first place. I want to also add another 128MB RAM stick which would give me the 384 MB RAM that Ubuntu recommends.
    On another note, what is gedit /etc/init.d/halt suppose to display and how do I access the terminal in Ubuntu (I am an absolute beginner when it comes to Linux)
    Thanks.
    Ahh. Yes upgrade RAM

That's the shutdown script. An a similar Intel PIII PC I had, I had to change the following line to correctly shutdown.

When and if you do bring Ubuntu back up, go into the menu Applications->Accessories->Terminal to bring up the terminal. Alternatively, press alt+F2 and type
    Code:
    gnome-terminal
    and that will bring it up also.

The avatar. Can't remember. I think it was http://tux.crystalxp.net/
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: Failure to shut down properly

Fatality UK, you say: “An a similar Intel PIII PC I had, I had to change the following line to correctly shutdown” . So am I to understand that I would have to bring up the terminal and type “gedit /etc/init.d/halt” in it. I am a bit confused because in the last part you say I had to change the following line but I don’t see what you mean by following line.
    How much part does the ram play in this whole situation? (Keep in mind this was a live CD boot up... id did not install it) Will my 254MB RAM be able to cut it?
    Thank you in advance (for the help and the site).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think the RAM is the problem. The Live CD needs 384 mb to install, using the graphical installer, and Ubuntu needs a minimum of 256 mb to run. I'd give the alternate installation iso burned to CD a try (text based installer, so if you are just wanting to check Ubuntu out, ignore this) to install; the system requirements for Ubuntu are 256 mb RAM, but it might run, albeit a bit slowly, with 256 (which, if I understand correctly, is reduced to 254 mb, likely due to the graphics chip sharing some RAM).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Blame Bill:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03020.pdf

My laptop never shuts down fully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have the same problem on an old PIII running xubuntu. I've never given it much thought, and it never gives me any real problems. When I shut down, I just let Linux shut down as far as it can, and then I push the button.

BTW, I love the email from Bill... So typical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast