Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubunt vs. Kubuntu Vs. Edbuntu Vs. x ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubunt vs. Kubuntu Vs. Edbuntu Vs. x ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you'll find what your looking for here

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome
    *BUNTU addict
    Ubuntunerd's Blog
    Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life.
    Unanswered posts Team
    How to mark your Threads as Solved
    download "Opera" a fast and secure browser

Beans

Thanks for all your help, everyone. From what I've read here I've gotten the most intrest out of installing kde-desktop on top of my Ubuntu install, and also interested in installing Medibuntu (Mythbuntu? It was named both ways).

Is it possible to install Medi/Myth-buntu on top of Ubuntu like you can with KDE? Or would I have to go through a big trouble of somehow installing it as a dual-boot setup, which from what I've heard is complicated?

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Hi Kakabonae, and welcome to the forums! No "flavor" or distro is the "best," but if you tell us more about your goals, what you are hoping to accomplish, and what you have for hardware, maybe we can make recommendations.

The nice thing about the Ubuntu family is that you can burn Live CDs that run completely in your RAM, without changing or affecting anything on your hard drive. You could burn a Live CD for each of the different distros and try them all.
    IMO, this does not necessarily give a wholly realistic picture of what the various Ubuntu versions are capable of.

The only way you can really judge its true characteristics is to install it to your hard drive.

Beans

I have been reading the comments in this thread as I am new to Ubuntu.

I am trying to reuse some older windows and mac machines, e.g. imac 500mhz with 512mb ram. The windows machines are a dell latitude laptop 2.2ghz with 2gig ram, and 70gig hard drive. I also have some old micron PC's 768mb ram, 1.4mhz, bought in 1999. I want the computer's to be a combination of devices, the laptop for the kids to do homework, surf the web, watch you tube videos, email etc.

The PC's I would like to setup as a music/media server for the house so everyone can connect to our music library and have it play thru the setereo system. Would also like to store all our videos/dvd's home movies, and photographs's in a central place so they can be accessed over the network to play and view files. I want to be able to take my old dvd's and movies and burn them to the system. I also need a software so I can convert those movies back to a playable DVD when we travel etc. We do have Iphone's, ipods, and a droid and it would be great to synchronize all the systems so the music can be distributed and shared amongst the family.

I really have been frustrated by the dell laptop, as it always seems slow. I moved it from Windows XP, as it takes forever to process things and always seemed to be running at 100% CPU. The fan also always runs. I installed ubunut 10.10 on the system and it seemed to work ok, but was still sluggish. I also checked thru system monitor the processes and it still seems to run at 100% all the time and is really slow opening pages and doing multiple things on the computer. It also rarely but still does intermittently just shuts off.

I really would like some help choosing between the different systems, do want parental controls to block bad sites over the net, and want the systems to be fast. My kids hate the IMAC's but after seeing reviews people seem to believe they can still function as web computer's but not sure if they can handle the streaming video well from you tube, and other interactive sites. They also want to play games.

Hopefully someone can assist as it sems a waste to just dump the computers.

Thread closed - necromancy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12