Thread: nm-applet vanishes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question nm-applet vanishes

I put Ubuntu on an IBM Thinkpad. It connects directly to the internet with the cable but when I click on the icon in the upper right and select my wireless router and put in my wep password it thinks and thinks and thinks and then asks me for the password again. I put it in and then the nm-applet (Icon in the upper right corner) disappears. At this point I try to get on the terminal but it gets buggy and I can't type anything. I try and log off but the little red button on the upper right doesn't work and I eventually have to hold the power button to shut it off. This happens everytime I try and connect to the wireless. Any suggestions?
    I can have more specifics this evening when I am on it again.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: nm-applet vanishes

Quote Originally Posted by catinthehood View Post
    select my wireless router and put in my wep password it thinks and thinks and thinks and then asks me for the password again. I put it in and then the nm-applet (Icon in the upper right corner) disappears.
    Try this for debugging: Open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal), then
    Code:
    sudo killall nm-applet
    nm-applet
    At this point, nm-applet will reappear in the notification area. Try to connect to your wireless network as you've done before, but this time, you will be presented with a ton of debug messages in the terminal. Post those messages here for a clue to your problem.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."