Thread: make wireless network information persist?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

make wireless network information persist?

Hi I'm using Hardy on my desktop, which is on a wireless network.

Everytime I reboot the machine, I have to reconfigure the wireless network connection.
    Is there a way to make this information to persist, so that my machine will attempt to connect with the same credentials on boot?

At the moment, upon boot I click on the nm-applet, unlock it and tell it the encryption type and password. Every time I start a session, this information seems to be have changed. The password type is changed and the password is random.
    Is this a bug? Is there a good reason for this default behaviour?

Anyway, is there a way to configure my wireless network connection once and for all, without having to rejig it every time?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: make wireless network information persist?

Network Manager is great for laptops that are carried down to the coffee shop or other hotspot because it allows you to select from among several networks and, assuming you have any needed encryption details, connect.

I don't believe this is your case, if you have a desktop computer that sits at home all day. The key is to add your details to /etc/network/interfaces and turn off 'Roaming' in System -> Administration -> Network. Here is a sample /etc/network/interfaces for a WEP encrypted network:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid mylilrouter
    wireless-key 096c7f280blahfoo

#auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Here is a guide to setting up a WPA encrypted network: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318539

After you get this all done, do:
    Code:
    sudo ifdown eth1 && sudo ifup eth1
    Substitute your details here. Assuming you connect, you can safely go to Synaptic and remove Network Manager and dhcdbd.

You should connect on boot forever more.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Network Manager is great for laptops that are carried down to the coffee shop or other hotspot because it allows you to select from among several networks and, assuming you have any needed encryption details, connect.

I don't believe this is your case, if you have a desktop computer that sits at home all day. The key is to add your details to /etc/network/interfaces and turn off 'Roaming' in System -> Administration -> Network. Here is a sample ...
    Hm...
    It seems that my interfaces file is configured already.
    It's got the right generated passphrase key in it, the correct ssid, encryption method and everything.

Yet, it doesn't run on startup.

If I do:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    then the network comes up on the restart - no problems.

But, if I do restart after a boot, no cigar.
    My system still refuses to get on the network after boot.

What could be going on here?
    How do I fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Let's try a little trick. Please sudo gedit /etc/rc.local and add a line above exit 0:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Proofread, save, close and reboot. Did you connect on boot?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.