I'm really stumped here, been trying nearly everything I can think of.
Using an Nvidia 7800gt attempting to connect a Rosewill R913J and an Akai 37inch HDTV.

For a few days I was held up due to resolution issues on the Rosewill, as it appears, although the XP version of the driver had no problems with a DVI hookup, the linux driver only seems to allow proper resolutions with a vga cable which I can live with.

The hdtv is where it gets bad. Attempting the use the vga input on the back with the motherboard's built in 6150 GPU simply didn't work (which was how I'd set it up in XP). Connecting the vga to my 7800 resulted in complete garbage for output, but only when X server started, through boot it was fine until that point. I decided to try the VIVO dongle and RGB component cables (once again worked fine in XP) but although I could finally get a picture on the screen it was as if there was no signal on the red component cable everything was a washed out blue/green color.

Using the nvidia drivers and x control panel that are suggested/available by/from ubuntu's add/remove menu. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Searching the forums for this particular problem seems to turn up unrelated problems.