Thread: Cannot get ndiswrapper to associate with bcm4318 in hardy

Beans

Cannot get ndiswrapper to associate with bcm4318 in hardy

I have a Broadcom BCM4318 card in my Dell Inspiron 710m. It was working fine with Feisty. I did an upgrade to Gutsy and it still worked without having to make any changes. I have been using Ndiswrapper to connect. Now I have upgraded to Hardy and have huge problems.

My ethernet adapter which is a Broadcom 4401 is working fine. But the wifi just refuses. b43-fwcutter did not work so I removed that. I have blacklisted bcm43xx, b43, b43legacy and ssb in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

When I do an lshw -C network I get this

*-network:0
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 1
    bus info: pci@0000:02:01.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=32 module=ssb
    *-network:1
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:02:05.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:14:22:9a:c2:0d
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 ip=10.0.0.86 latency=32 module=ssb multicast=yes

As you can see the wireless is using ssb as its module, but it shows no logical name which should be eth1. If I rmmod b44 and ssb then nothing works. If I then only modprobe ndiswrapper nothing works. As soon as I modprobe b44 both the wireless and ethernet start using ssb.

I have downloaded ndiswrapper 1.50 sources and done a make install. My dmesg shows that

[ 30.139509] ndiswrapper version 1.50 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)

However, no matter what I try ndiswrapper fails to associate with eth1 which is my wireless card.

Please HELP.

Beans

Re: Cannot get ndiswrapper to associate with bcm4318 in hardy

Ok sorted out some of the mess. Thankfully, I booted into windows by mistake and found that the wireless card was not working there as well. Sorted that out by turning the wifi card on !!!

Anyway, despite that Hardy still refuses to run the card. So I tried one of the older kernel versions [2.6.22-15-generic] that shows up in GRUB. The result is that the card is discovered at boot up, but then turns off. I have to open up a terminal and do an ifdown eth1 followed by an ifup eth1 to get it working.

So, is this a kernel issue?
    Last edited by rumman; July 16th, 2008 at 04:34 PM.