Thread: movie players crashing my computer

Beans

movie players crashing my computer

Hey im new to linux so i was wondering if anyone can help? I just installed linux unbuntu 8.04, and everyt time i play a movie it crashes my computer.
    Im running a 6200geforce nivida card(256mb), my screen savers and all other video works fine. but when i use totem or any movie player it crashs my computer. i got a 2.00 ghz proccesor, the chip is a sempron 2800+(AMD). Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: movie players crashing my computer

Quote Originally Posted by checkmateinc View Post
    Hey im new to linux so i was wondering if anyone can help? I just installed linux unbuntu 8.04, and everyt time i play a movie it crashes my computer.
    Im running a 6200geforce nivida card(256mb), my screen savers and all other video works fine. but when i use totem or any movie player it crashs my computer. i got a 2.00 ghz proccesor, the chip is a sempron 2800+(AMD). Any suggestions?
    as an easy first step- try a different movie player, and see if the crashes still occur.

i'd suggest looking at "vlc" and "mplayer".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had this problem, with my Intel graphics, for all video players. I found that the problem was Compiz. So I have to disable Compiz, by going to System>Preferences>Appearence>Visual Effects tab and choosing None, everytime I watch a video that isn't in Flash. Luckily I don't watch too many non-flash videos

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have also been having this problem since I upgraded to Hardy Heron, in all video players, but not in flash. Sometimes it works if I open VLC first, and then open my video right from there, instead of just double clicking on it from nautilus. I will try disabling compiz next time I want to play a video...

Beans

Hey im new to linux so i was wondering if anyone can help? I just installed linux unbuntu 8.04
    you should benefit from reading thru here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

It is a bit extensive so for mainly dvds here's what I do from fresh install of hardy. Note at bottom a strongly suggested of setting vlc as a default player choice. At very least it's important to change the launcher command for vlc as noted (provides proper disk navigation)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...09#post5182809

There may or may not be issues trying to add the medibuntu repo as normally done (with a wget command) - read the edit.

The Very first thing to address is whether a region has been set on the drive. If you've ever played a commercial dvd with that drive (xp, vista, ect.) then it's been set. If your not sure open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> terminal) and paste this in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install regionset
    press enter and after that runs with a dvd in the drive paste this in the terminal and run
    Code:
    regionset
    Here's what a set drive looks like
    Code:
    doug@doug-desktop:~$ regionset
    regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
    Current Region Code settings:
    RPC Phase: II
    type: SET   <-
    vendor resets available: 4
    user controlled changes resets available: 4
    drive plays discs from region(s): 1, mask=0xFE
    Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:n
    If your drive isn't set then choose yes and enter the number of your region 1 for n.america, 2 for europe, see here for others
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes
    After a region has been set run thru either the commands from the sticky or my link and you should be good to go. (if not post back)

just to reinforce something - if someone gives you a command in a code box to run it is as above - copy and paste into an open terminal and press enter. ( my apologizes if too newbie)

Beans

Thanks for the advise, i turned off compiz and it went longer then before but still froze. I don't know if it's because i was on the internet doing stuff trying to post, or what? I got 1gig of ddr, do you think I need more memory? If I do need more memory, would any of you know where to find out what the upgrades are for a AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0Ghz? Im thinking I need more memory but I'm not really sure?

Beans

Oh yeah I already got vlc and gplayer installed and both of them freeze up my computer too. All the movie players are.

Beans

switching my totem player to xine instead of the gsstreamer thing seems to be working, thanks

Beans

reinstalling totem xine works haven't froze in 2 days