Thread: Switched to KDE and upgraded to heron - can't connect wired/wireless anymore

Beans

Switched to KDE and upgraded to heron - can't connect wired/wireless anymore

I had a rough time connecting with gnome originally, but after a lot of messing with it I finally got both the wireless and wired connection to work flawlessly.

However, I recently switched to KDE from gnome. The internet connection was still working and functioning normal. I figured I would try upgrading to Heron (didn't work with my nvidia driver on gnome before - I think it was messing with compiz stuff). Now I can't connect through either of my devices.

My /etc/network/interfaces is still the same and looks correct and set up with my static IPS. My lshw -C network looks kindof funny though. I'm not sure if it cleared my wireless drivers or what it did.

lshw -c network:
    *-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:15:c5:a6:e4:d2
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.86 firmware=5752-v3.19 latency=0 module=tg3 multicast=yes
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: eth1
    serial: 00:17:31:e4:f1:67
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.1.129 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

I am really at a loss without knowing how to connect hardwire. I tried what I did to get it to connect through gnome using the interfaces file, but that is all in place this time around.

Any help would be awesome =).

Beans

Re: Switched to KDE and upgraded to heron - can't connect wired/wireless anymore

After reading around some more, I thought it would help to tell you that network manager isn't even seeing any devices. It is just saying no connected device.

Beans

Re: Switched to KDE and upgraded to heron - can't connect wired/wireless anymore

Any thoughts? I've read around but can't seem to find anybody who is in the same boat as myself. When I use ipdown or anything it complains of a missing main file =(.

Beans

I had the same problem although I can my (netgear wireless; atheros) card gets a signal. I still haven't figured out what is going wrong as the card works fine if I boot into Windows.

That being said, you might try the steps shown here. At least this can get your OS to recognize your card.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eShootingGuide