Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21 hours!!!

Beans

Re: 21 hours!!!

Is this a fresh install using the entire disk, or are you putting it in a separate partition? 200Gb sounds like plenty of room but if the partition Ubuntu is trying to install itself to is too small, it could be slowing things down.....
    its a fresh install using the entire disk.
    Does this machine have any OTHER O/Ss on it or any other data that needs to be retained ?
    no other OSs on it. as far as WIPING it clean... i replaced the hard drive after this happened. so its new.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would STILL wipe it just to make sure there is not something lingering on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    If you have ever installed Ubuntu yourself before, you should know that it is not going to take it 21 hours to install on that machine especially and probably not any other machine that it has a chance of working on at all.
    It took me 100 hours to install 8.04 two weeks before the official release.

OK, it was an upgrade from 6.06, using dial-up, but it was 4 days well spent.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Dale61 View Post
    It took me 100 hours to install 8.04 two weeks before the official release.

OK, it was an upgrade from 6.06, using dial-up, but it was 4 days well spent.
    Then I stand corrected.

BUT, if I had to update & use an O/S with a dialup connection, I would not even bother. I think I would find other things to do.

Thanks.

Beans

Hi there, you said you used Hardy Heron and then it just suddenly stopped working. So it sounds like there is something wrong with your computer. You need to diagnose the original problem and fix it, otherwise if you try to re-install, it will just break again. That is just my opinion.

edit: ps have you tried using the Live CD? Did that work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WOW, live CD with 1G ram and 80G HD only took me 40 minutes to run and configure
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

alright.... heres an update.

the install worked.... however, i got a message about my ATI video card driver is not supported (something like that)
    it downloaded and installed the driver automatically but still lags. it takes like 30 seconds for anything to respond. i'd click on system or places and the menu would take 30 seconds to show up.
    i'd click on firefox and it would take 30 seconds to open the window. and so on....
    what to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

my comp has been running for 96 + hours im using wireless net on a prosser that could beraly stay connected on windows and only run html pages no pics if so net would crash i love ubuntu net is slow but i can view pics small movies java flash my comp is made of 9 salveged compsfrom the side of the road and my old comp IT LIVES lol frankenstiens computer lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12