Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 hours!!!

Beans

21 hours!!!

alternate cd took 21 hours to install!!!
    and it still didnt work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 21 hours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nnebular22 View Post
    alternate cd took 21 hours to install!!!
    and it still didnt work.

Check disk integrity. Your machine probably won't work if it is older than 8yrs old- that's what Xubuntu is for.
    Visit my site at https://truefla.me/ or follow me on Twitter: @Truefire_

My main machine is a HP DM4-1265dx laptop, though I do have a custom gaming/media desktop as well.

Beans

see the thing is... i was running on hardy heron for almost 3 months and it just stopped working. since then, i've changed the ram, switched the hard drive and started a new install. not working out.

the pc is a dell dimension xps p4 ht 2.8Ghz, 1Gb ram, and 200Gb SATA hard drive. it also has an ATI video card.

Help

Beans

How much ram do you have?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

the pc is a dell dimension xps p4 ht 2.8Ghz, 1Gb ram, and 200Gb SATA hard drive. it also has an ATI video card.
    i believe 256mb is the min... correct? so i should be alright.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hate when people say "it didn't work". It tells us nothing that we can use to help you.

What didn't work?
    What part of the installation was running when it stopped?
    Did you get an error message?
    What was the error message?

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

nnebular22:

Who install Ubuntu on this machine originally ?

If you have ever installed Ubuntu yourself before, you should know that it is not going to take it 21 hours to install on that machine especially and probably not any other machine that it has a chance of working on at all.

As someone suggested above already, have you checked the integrity of your Ubuntu Alternate Cd by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

And P.S. - I would not be trying to install Hardy in any case, it STILL has too many bugs in it. I would get Gutsy and install it.
    Last edited by wpshooter; July 16th, 2008 at 02:35 AM.

Beans

integrity was checked and was okay...
    i installed it about 3 months ago. and after a regular update... it did not boot up again (hangs at the busy box) and eventually runs through checking the status of numerous things, all receiving "ok" except "loading hardware drivers" which was the only one to "fail".

so... then i reburnt the iso and tried to install it. it hangs at the "where are you screen?" (location) and eventually same end results.

the alternate cd was working and eventually slowed to almost a complete stop and as i type the screen is at 97% installing at the clean up stage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nnebular22 View Post
    integrity was checked and was okay...
    i installed it about 3 months ago. and after a regular update... it did not boot up again (hangs at the busy box) and eventually runs through checking the status of numerous things, all receiving "ok" except "loading hardware drivers" which was the only one to "fail".

so... then i reburnt the iso and tried to install it. it hangs at the "where are you screen?" (location) and eventually same end results.

the alternate cd was working and eventually slowed to almost a complete stop and as i type the screen is at 97% installing at the clean up stage.
    Is this a fresh install using the entire disk, or are you putting it in a separate partition? 200Gb sounds like plenty of room but if the partition Ubuntu is trying to install itself to is too small, it could be slowing things down.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Does this machine have any OTHER O/Ss on it or any other data that needs to be retained ?

If not, why don't you get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the drive completely clean and then retry the installation from scratch on a clean drive ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast