Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: BitTornado with GTK2

Beans

HowTo: BitTornado with GTK2

BitTornado is one of the best Bittorrent clients out there, but it's so dang ugly! Well, not anymore. Now it uses gtk2! This guide shows you how to get it up and running on your system.

If you've got bittornado installed already from the repos, get rid of it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove bittornado bittornado-gui
    Optionally, I've also removed the default client.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-btdownload bittorrent
    Again, optionally, I've removed wxgtk2.4.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove python-wxgtk2.4 libwxgtk2.4-1
    Now you want to install 2.6
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.6 libwxgtk2.6-0
    Now, down to buisness. Time to download bittornado from http://bittornado.com/download.html . You have two choices. The stable version, and the testing version. The stable version has a bug we'll need to fix... I'll go into that later. The unstable version is what works for me so I'll cover that first.

Unstable Version:

Download the unstable version (BitTornado-0.3.14.tar.gz at the time of this posting) and extract it somewhere in your home directory. Open up a terminal and cd to that location. First, make sure it is running properly for you.
    Code:
    python btdownloadgui.py
    If it segfaults on exit, don't worry. It does that for me too, but everything works perfectly. Now it's time to install.
    Code:
    sudo python setup.py install
    The final step is to add a line to /etc/mailcap.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/mailcap
    add application/x-bittorrent; /usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" to the end, save and quit. Close any web browsers you have open and re-open them for the changes to take effect.

If you want to associate .torrent files so that when you double-click on them from nautilus, they will be opened by bittornado, that's easy.

Open up nautilus and go to where you have saved a .torrent file. Right-click on it and select properties. Select the "open with" tab and click the "add" button. Click the arrow next to "use a custom command" and in the box, type "btdownloadgui.py" without the quotes. Click "add" and you're done.

Stable version:

Now I'll cover the stable version. I couldn't get this version to connect to ANY trackers, but perhaps others will have better luck. As with the unstable version, download it (BitTornado-0.3.7.tar.gz at the time of this posting) and extract it somewhere in your home directory. Open up a terminal and cd to that location. First, check to see sure how it runs.
    Code:
    python btdownloadgui.py
    ...which should output:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "btdownloadgui.py", line 29, in ?
        from BitTornado.ConfigReader import configReader
      File "/home/arktis/src/BitTornado-CVS/BitTornado/ConfigReader.py", line 40, in ?
        _CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR_3DSHADOW))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_misc.py", line 187, in SystemSettings_GetColour
        return _misc_.SystemSettings_GetColour(*args, **kwargs)
    wx._core.PyNoAppError: The wx.App object must be created first!
    Holy crap! That's an ugly error message, isn't it? We need to fix that, don't we? To do this, you need to change to the BitTornado subfolder and open a file for editing.
    Code:
    cd BitTornado
    gedit ConfigReader.py
    Go down to lines 40 and 41 (turn on the showing of line numbers from your preferences if you need to). The lines should look like this:

_CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR _3DSHADOW))
    _DOWNLOADCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxSystemSettings_GetColour(wxSYS_COLOUR _ACTIVECAPTION))

Change them to this:

_CHECKINGCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxColour(155,156,157))
    _DOWNLOADCOLOR = ColorToHex(wxColour(1,1,1))

Save the file and exit. Go up one level back to where you were before.
    Code:
    cd ..
    Now check again to make sure it runs.
    Code:
    python btdownloadgui.py
    From this point on, you can follow the exact same steps I outlined for getting the unstable version to work, starting with the running of setup.py.

Like I said, the stable version won't work for me because it doesn't connect to any trackers and doesn't throw any specific error messages I can use to trace the problem. If anyone has any success in getting it to work, please let me know.
    Last edited by Arktis; November 4th, 2005 at 01:33 PM.

Beans

Re: HowTo: BitTornado with GTK2

I am new to Linux, I got an error when I tried to install the BitTorado unstable version:

Code:
    error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
    What have I done wrong?

Goyan

Beans

screenshots?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't get this whole HOWTO. I just install wxgtk and wxpython 2.6 from the .gz file and run it. Easy as cake.

[/CENTER]
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goyan
    I am new to Linux, I got an error when I tried to install the BitTorado unstable version:

Code:
    error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
    What have I done wrong?

Goyan
    Install python2.4-dev.

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    I don't get this whole HOWTO. I just install wxgtk and wxpython 2.6 from the .gz file and run it. Easy as cake.
    This howto is about getting it set up properly and associating it in your browser and file manager, and also how to do the proper fix for the stable version's annoying bug. If you don't want it to work that way, fine, run it directly from your home folder. If you're like me and only use one bittorrent client and want it properly set up on your system, then I've spelled out exactly how to do it. The critique you should really be making is why an installer was included in the first place if you really think nobody should use it. But then again, not everybody does things like you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks! works great now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It does everything you said but then what??? I mean i don' t see a link for Bittornado at the Apps menu. I didn't remove the default client so when i double click a torrent file it opens that client. Can you please help me?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by lzfy
    It does everything you said but then what??? I mean i don' t see a link for Bittornado at the Apps menu. I didn't remove the default client so when i double click a torrent file it opens that client. Can you please help me?

Thanks
    You need to make it yourself:

Code:
    /usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py
    is where you need to link to.

Beans
    Hidden!

official client still rocks
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k

how do I get my apps looking like that

mine: http://members.cox.net/tedddee/bitt.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast